Does This Make Sense

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

the_evil_duboisi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yesterday I was haunting some fish stores, when I told a rostratus expert that I had a group of them. He tells me there's only one impotant rule in keeping F. rostratus.

Don't feed them a day before, and after, a water change.

Could that even be true? Mine are little(3 in) juveniles but live just fine with feeding the day before, after, even on the same day I do a water change. He even says do that to babies. :blink:

He claims it's what he does to his ones, and I tell you, they are the most beautiful ones I ever saw. He even produced over 300 babies.

It's kinda hard for me to understand, but there are all kinds of these weird fishkeeping rumors :crazy: .....The one most debated is introducing fish into their new home. And this one is new to me.

So, should I follow his advice, even when it doesn't seem, er, "nessesary"? Or should I keep on going with what I did till now?

I know nothing about F. rostratus but not feeding fish the day before or the same day as a water change is good advice for many fish. Changing the water when fish have recently been fed can cause some predatory species to regurgitate their meal which can foul the water pretty quickly. In some herbivorous species a water change which drops the temperature in the tank can slow down the fishes metabolism so that vegetable matter in the gut gets trapped and begins to rot inside the fish.

To be honest it doesnt happen that often but prevention is always the best course of action and especially when dealing with delicate species.

Wow! I didn't know that! But right now since they're young, wouldn't it be better to feed daily, and when they're older, they could do with the fast?

Problem is, I want to keep them happy, healthy and fast-growing, but I want them to grow at their maximum rate.

The fishes I've heard that trow up most are red tailed catfish and boulengerochromis microlepis, but never rostratus......Interesting........And scary!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back