Does Synodontis Eupterus Eat Smaller Fish?

three-fingers

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Just wondering, because when i get my bigger tank, I'll probably be ordering of fish off the internet like mall tetras and the like, and i don't know what type of size i will get.
Also i may get a bristle nose catfish but i would prefer to get a small juvenile and grow it, but i wont if my Synodontis eupterus will eat it. Mines about 4" - 5" excluding tail right now and has never touched any of my tetras, though can be a bully towards my 4" (also excluding tail) plec, just another reason my poor plec needs rehoming.
Also i need to know if when mine gets to his max size of 8", will he be able to eat largish tetras like red eye tetras(i woulden't have thought so -_- ), and do you think he would eat small neons(well....most things do but hes very peaceful towards the other fish). Oh, and would he be fine with corys?
When i got him, i was told he would never eat other fish and would only get to around 5".
But another lfs said he would eat everything at night and would get slightly bigger at 6".
I think both lfs could be thinking of different synos....i've always read featherfins are peaceful but i've not found much about tank mates other than things like 'can hold its own in a tank with aggressive fish'.

Anyone? No? Maybe i should have posted this in tropical chit chat :rolleyes:. Anyway, merry christmas to anyone who's reading this :good: .

Yes it will reach at least six inches and while Synos are no where as bad at eating fish as most Pims from South America it could be tempted by small tetras.

They could eat smaller fish, they are pretty good as catfish go, not very aggressive but can be territorial

Right, so avoid anything that can fit in his mouth like small neons..that does rule out a few fish. I figure I'll just buy the bristle nosed a bit bigger, and provide plenty hiding spaces. I don't think corys would fit in his mouth...but I'll provide small hidey-holes anyway. Thanks guys :)

I have a big one and he hasnt eaten anything yet although I think if he gotthe chance he would I have several fry that could fit in his mouth but he doesnt seem to care about them much. just watches em swim by! Very beautiful catfish though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back