Does Cichlids Get Along With Each Other?

lchesterl

Reaction score
Okay yesterday I bought an mixed african cichlid at this tropical fish store its still small, I then put it in with my other cichlid which I got for $15 bucks its no ordinary cichlid it has blue and white strips on it. The one I got last night was only $5 bucks and it has tan/yellowish with black strips on it. Anyways when I first put the new one in they started attacking eachother but today they haven't been attacking eachother that often. I'm planning on getting 3 more cichlids so that makes 5 in the tank with my 2 oscars. Is having 5 cichlid okay? will they be agressive towards eachother? my oscars trys to eat my cichlids but their too fast and they hide in a cave and rocks. My albino oscar doesnt seem that agrresive towards them though.

P.S.

Can someone tell me of a site, or link about cichlids? like the small ones not the big ones. I want to learn more about them and see more pics of'em. Thank You.

With out pictures it is hard to say, but I would say the blue one sounds like a Melanochromis johanni and the other sounds like a Melacochromis Chipokae. When introducing africans to a tank I would advice putting more than one in at a time so that the aggression is spread out between all the newbies! Also you might want to try rearranging the caves and decore so that all the fish have to acclimate to their new surroundings and no one has their "turf" established.

Lastly, I would say that you might want to upgrade to a larger tank for the Oscars alone. They demand a 75 gal minimum from what I understand and aren't best to keep with africans.

A good cichlid forum is http://cichlidforum.com/

Oscars do not do well with Africans. Malawi cichlids which are what you bought enjoy a high pH and are very aggressive. They are one of the only types of fish where a crowded tank is best to reduce aggression among the inhabitants. Either the oscars will eat the Africans or the Africans will kill the Oscars with repeated attacks on their fins and sides.

Most reactions

Back