Does anyone know what type of fish these are? Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kay86

Reaction score
Hi! Could any help indentify what these are? Please. They was sold as otocinclus but after looking pictures up online I'm unable to find any otos with these colourings

Attachments

• IMG-20190128-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20190128-WA0004.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 172
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The fish in the picture is a gold colour form of the Chinese Algae Eater (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri). They grow to about 12 inches long and can become aggressive when they mature.

Take the fish back and get an Otocinclus because the Oto cost a lot more than the algae eater.

Thank you. This is what I was worried about, we have had them about a month and they have grown so quickly. We got four of them as was assured they didn't grow very big and would be fine in our tank.

I would return them and claim they were sold to you as Otocinclus and they are clearly not that. The 4 that you have will end up fighting and if you're lucky, you get a pr (male & female) but you could end up with 1 big male that kills the others.

To be honest, I'm amazed that a pet shop could screw up labeling these fish and mixing them up with Otocinclus considering they look nothing alike.

They have already grown so much since we got them a month ago. I can't keep them, my tank isn't big enough for four that will get that large and aggressive, plus I'm worried about my other fish now I've had someone confirm what I was thinking. I'm going to pets at home to see if they will take back tomorrow but given how little knowledge they have I'm worried they won't get cared for properly or sold on incorrectly again. If I call around some other pet shops, maybe find one with more knowledge do you think they may take them?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190128-161306_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190128-161306_Gallery.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 152
Most pet shops will take unwanted fish. Just ring around and see if any of them want to buy 4 algae eaters. Most shops give you a store credit for the fish and it is usually 1/3 to 1/2 retail price. You can then use the credit to buy other fish.

Thank you so much for all your advise. I will ring around tomorrow and hopefully find them a new home.

I agree with Colin T, but please do be aware that some pet shops mistreat their fish and sometimes, when they don't have enough knowledge about fish keeping, they end up killing them. But I wish you the best of luck!

I agree with Colin T, but please do be aware that some pet shops mistreat their fish and sometimes, when they don't have enough knowledge about fish keeping, they end up killing them. But I wish you the best of luck!
That's what I'm worried about, I hate the thought of taking them back and them ending up sick or dead. They have more in stock now and still being sold as otocinclus, when obviously they are not, my own fault I should of done some research first rather then impulse buy. Do you know age they turn aggressive towards each other? Might give me some time to make sure they will be ok with whoever takes them or possibly getting a couple more tanks and keeping them.

They generally start to cause problems when they are about 4 inches long. Sometimes you can have a couple of them together and they get along great but if you rearrange the tank or add something else then it can screw up the peace and they go nuts and start attacking everything.

Most shops try to keep their fish alive and well. If they lose fish they lose money so it doesn't make sense for them to deliberately mistreat their fish and let them die.

If you have concerns about shops taking them, just leave them together and monitor them. If you see one going after the other fish in the tank, then move it out.

The next time you are at the pet shop, just casually mention to one of the staff that you think the fish are mis-labelled and the fish are actually Chinese algae Eaters and not Otocinclus. Don't make a big fuss about it and if the shop says they aren't mis-labelled, then let it be and find yourself another shop.

When returning or rehoming fish as in this situation, it is better to do it immediately. The longer you keep these fish the more trouble they and you will have. It is kinder to the fish to move them now rather than later.

If the store has a tank of these fish, they should be able to take them back.

but what if the pet store does not have a tank for these fish at all? Anyone heard of a fish broker? Probably not, but maybe that is possible. Also, you could try selling them on Craigslist. Maybe take one of them to a pet store first. Ask an employee to identify it for you, once complete, accomplish searching there needs and care, then, if you are sure you don't want them, you can try selling them on kilojoules or Craigslist? But make sure to take them to a quality pet store and find them a good, quality home. Good luck!!!!

We have already identified the fish, they don't need to ask the pet shop what it is. The pet shop screwed up the identification, which is why this thread was started.

Ok, glad I could help!!! But anyway, what type of fish are they? I've never seen any species like that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back