Does Algae Die Off?

guppy2002

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
my 10g tank is in the window..... it was the only place to put it.   algae grew, of course.  it made the whole tank a murky green! you couldnt even see the bottom when you looked through the top.   i cleaned the tank, taking out about 4\5 of the water. it is still a little green. i covered the side of the tank that was facing the window. will the algae die off from no sun? or will i have to do more to get rid of it?

You will probably have to remove as much as you can manually, and if it doesn't go away by itself the best course of action will be a blackout for 3 or 4 days followed by a large water change.

Turn all your tank lights off and get a large bath towel and completely cover the tank so that no light can get in at all.
Leave your tank for 3-4 days (You can still feed fish) and you algae should have reduced dramatically.

Just worth mentioning that the algae will die off if you cover the tank for 3-4 days but if you don't deal with the root cause (too much light) it will just grow back.

Hornwort plant keeps the water clear

Most reactions

Back