Do your bala sharks dance...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

freshmike

©µ®¦§‡Ø¶=€®
Reaction score
:fish: :fish: Every time I feed the balas in my 33 they cross their tails and twitch and seem to dance with each other.....seems kinda strange cuz my big balas don't seem to do the same. :blink:

:fish: My redhooks dance, well, that's what we call it anyway.

Every night about thirty minutes before the lights are timed to go out....they begin a dance that can only be described as looking like a ritual to the god of the moon who makes the darkness come.

The redhook who I refer to as the ancient one has been doing this nightly ritual for years, the newer ones usually have joined in about a week after they're introduced into the aquarium.

The redhooks press their "chins" against the glass and proceed to wiggle and make short spastic darts back and forth. This goes on for about ten minutes, then they claim their various spots for the night. It's actually great fun to watch. :drink:

Oh, wait, but this was supposed to be about balas. Apparently I just wanted to brag about my redhooks. :D

lol! yes it was 'sposed to be about balas! still cool tho! :p

Yes they do and it's perfectly normal behavior.

Rose

My Redhook and other Silver dances too. I mean, they REALLY dance with each other. :wub: Except mine only do it when the lights are out and it's only the larger two not the newest ones that I got about 2 months ago (still kind of small). One large one is Redhook and the other is Rosevelti or something like that. They don't mind the difference, they act as if they are the exact same thing. They will dance back and forth, only with each other, in the dark. Kind of like chasing eachother slowly. It looks like some kind of mating ritual, but they do it constantly so who knows. Very sweet though......I love it when they do this dance :wub: ;)

Silver
:*

It appears that the redhook fanatics have officially hijacked the dancing bala thread! ;)

:drink:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back