Do Shrimp Shed Their Skin?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sahira

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 2 red cherry shrimp and 1 blue shrimp, and this morning I found in my aquarium what looks like shrimp.. but all white and not living.. and its like how spiders and snakes shed their skin.. Do shrimp do the same?

My cherries do it a lot, and as BBA said above, leave the skin in, its full of calcium and other minerals, and they'll eat it to re-absorb them. :)

If your ever lucky enough to catch them doing it, you'll find they will run off into hiding for a bit while their new exo-skeleton hardens up.

Ben

mine do it all the time. First time I saw a moulting I as so upset because I thought they were dieing... then 3 days later I did a head count, all 10 were there :) The one that has shed will be hiding (and if you have a tank with fish in, make sure they have hidey holes because they're vulneraable until the new exoskeleton hardens).

I've never caught mine shedding as they seem to do it at night

mine do it all the time. First time I saw a moulting I as so upset because I thought they were dieing... then 3 days later I did a head count, all 10 were there :) The one that has shed will be hiding (and if you have a tank with fish in, make sure they have hidey holes because they're vulneraable until the new exoskeleton hardens).

I've never caught mine shedding as they seem to do it at night

I've never seen it happen, but I've seen countless dead skins around the tanks.

Yeah because I was wondering is my shrimp okay.. good to know thats just a normal thing for shrimp to do.. I left the skin the the tank.. one of my shrimp came out of hiding yesterday.. he/she was lurking around in the plants..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58372321@N06/6302483134/

If it is opaque white then it is a shedded skin. If it is pink then it is a dead Shrimp. I have often seen mine moult their skins. Is very cool to watch and they normally breed jsut after. The female release a 'scent' into the water and the males chase her.

If it is opaque white then it is a shedded skin. If it is pink then it is a dead Shrimp. I have often seen mine moult their skins. Is very cool to watch and they normally breed jsut after. The female release a 'scent' into the water and the males chase her.

It was white... one of my shrimp came out of hiding yesterday.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58372321@N06/6302483134/ it was lurking around in the plants :)

Looks good. Nice colouration on the Shrimp and the plants look healthy as well.

I have 2 red cherry shrimp and 1 blue shrimp, and this morning I found in my aquarium what looks like shrimp.. but all white and not living.. and its like how spiders and snakes shed their skin.. Do shrimp do the same?
They do shed, they shed their xo skeleton. Often after they shed they go and hide. I thought my shrimp was dead because it was hiding in the leaves and not moving, then i found it's skin and the shrimp was up moving fine a couple hours after.

I have a tank with 7 Amanos and I've been through several moltings over the years. It means they're quite healthy! My largest female is almost 2"! Good on you!

Most reactions

Back