Do male guppies have a low life-span?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kitty falol

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've just bee e-mailing a fish supply guy who runs a website. I was enquiring about whether he has a certain type of medication and reading between the lines he was almost saying that male guppies weren't worth spending the money on because they don't live very long :sad: Of course if my fish are ill I'm going to do whatever I can for them to make them better but he's got me worried now.

I thought that both male and female guppies would live for a year, maybe 3 if I'm lucky. Am I right? Is there any reason why male guppies wouldn't live as long as the females?

The fish guy was right and he was wrong. Guppies do have a much shorter life span than many other fish, such as cichlids. But guppy age varies, depending on it's living conditions. I've heard of guppies living up to 2 years or more. It just depends on how you look at it.

I've heard guppies can live 2-5 yrs. Many factors can reduce their lifespan, like how much/long they've been shipped around stresses them more and more and for female guppies, im sure each time they give birth stresses them and tires them out. Right now my oldest guppy(a male) is going on 2 yrs and he's the toughest little guy. I'm not sure when he's "gonna go", but he still has alot of fight in him. :)
If your disease is curable, definitely take the time to save him, guppies are so peaceful and mine even let me pet them. It's never been a dull moment.

i would treat him. i heard that its females that have a shorter life span depending on how many births she has.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back