Diy Test Tube Rack

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I use an API freshwater Master Test Kit and that has 4 test tubes and I also use API GH and KH Water Test Kit with 2 test tubes.

I was looking on eBay and Amazon websites looking for a simple test tube rack for up to 6 tubes with drying pins for using with the above test kits.

They are available, and prices range from £5 to £50+, I ordered one, a white plastic one, at £7.99 including postage from Hong Kong! Thought that'll do me.

2 weeks later, i got the package, what a disappointment! I know its only a test tube rack but it was so cheap and very plasticky and extremely poor quality.

Also it was the wrong size too! 22mm holes and pretty massive. Utter rubbish, so I sent it back, got full refund.

Carried on looking for a smaller test tube rack, few and far between, usually the same sort of poor quality ones in plastic or MDF!

Sod that, I'll make my own, how hard can it be?

Found 3 plastic sheets about 5mm thick, long thread screws and plastic tubing covers, from a car boot sale, all for a pound!

Also found 4 x 8" plastic dowels (usually for cakes) online, £1.49.

Basically in short, drilled holes, made a tier for test tubes using long thread screws and plastic tubing to cover the screws cut to size and cut dowels to size and used as drying pins, screwed dowels on from underneath

Spent 2 half days making these (I broke 3 in the process, gotta be gentle drilling holes!!)

Here are the results, pretty pleased with myself if I may say so myself.

DIYrack3_zps32674329.jpg

DIYrack2_zps8bc5c96a.jpg

DIYrack_zps009c3a2c.jpg

So, at a total cost of £2.49, some imagination and patience, I am not particularly good at DIY therefore anyone can make their own test tube rack at far better quality than most websites selling these below £10.

If anyone want more details on how to make these, just let me know. And I do my best with pics to show a basic process how this was made. 
smile.png

Very good looks just like proper test tube racks, just like the ones used in the science labs at school.

Looks awesome, great idea with the drying racks too! If they were available on the market I would buy one instantly :)

Looks great, well done.  I think making them to order could be a goer on here 
yes.gif

I would be interested in more info., about what tools you used etc.

What I managed to find was a chemistry set in my local charity shop, they often have them, they are about £2.50.  So I strip them down and use all the parts useful for my hobby, including the test tube rack and small scoops for food etc 
59.gif

Heh, did think about that for a while but sourcing the same plastic sheets and screw heads may be a bit of a problem. But if do come across a decent stockpile of all the materials somehow then maybe would do a limited number of them to sell but wait and see.

Tools used on the job were basic tools really, 13mm drill bits for the top rack for test tubes to fit through and enlarged using rounded stone drill bits and 12mm for the bottom rack holes and partly sanded to give a nice edge for test tubes to rest on and a hacksaw to cut the 5mm plastic to size, that was it really, and sandpaper for rounding the edges off.

Pretty basic really but does the job supremely well and the test tubes do not fall off the rack when carrying it around.

I did see kids chemistry sets and lab kits in some charity shops too for around the £5 area but found to be too plasticky and not to my liking really and also they did not have drying pins, these are a must IMO as just put tubes on the pins once washed under tap water and leave them there to dry off rather than getting tissue paper wrapped around a pen or something that fits in the tubes to dry inside tubes off was too finicky!!

I am fussy, just ask my GF!! lol

Kinda cool that some people like my DIY job of that test tube rack, just thought it would be passed over after being viewed and then people thinking what a waste of time or words to that effect!! lol

very nice job - must have a go at something similar myself !

Does it all balance properly? So if you had a load of full test tubes in it, it won't topple over.

Good question!

Well, am happy to report that:

Went ahead and filled all 6 test tubes right to brim with water, capped them. Set them into rack, steady as a rock.

Even tried to tip rack over either way several times, plopped back to feet, no problem at all. It absolutely won't tip over.

Carried rack around sort of carelessly and test tubes stayed exactly where they were.

Made a good balanced test tube rack without actually thinking about it really! 
tongue2.gif

Whew! 
smile2.gif

Blobfish said:
Looks great!  Just what I need!
Thanks.

There are some test tube racks around if you look at charity shops for kids chemistry sets. Not great quality but does the job. I bought one from charity shop and one from online, both were not to my satisfaction but probably most people would have found them adequate.

But me, being me, found them cheap and plastiky and not to my liking so made my own using bits and bobs I bought from car boot sale. Cost me £2.49 in total and a few hours of my time, I enjoyed making it anyway!

Thinking about making a few, and selling them on this forum and eBay, tricky part is sourcing the bits I need and not particularly cheap!

May happen one day or it may not, just depends on a few factors.

But thanks anyway for the comments.

my test tubes got broken so I use plastic sample pots from the chemist. they have screw tops .cost 61p each and don't need a rack.

great attention to detail---you must be a perfectionist in all aspects of your life

pike01 said:
my test tubes got broken so I use plastic sample pots from the chemist. they have screw tops .cost 61p each and don't need a rack.

Ok, fair enough, good for other people to know there are alternative options available cheaply.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back