DIY Plywood Aquariums

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

strangemouse

Reaction score
Hi, am looking into building my own aquariums for my fish room I am planning to build (next summer's project lol) to save ££. I have seen designs on the internet for plywood and glass/plexiglass style tanks, the plywood is sealed with expoy resin, such as on here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_...d_aquarium2.php

just wondering if any off you have tried this and how it worked out. Will try it with small tanks before deciding whether to build my planned 6"x2"x2" using this method!!!

Any thoughts?

From what I hear, It is only cost effective when building a very large tank. The epoxy paint is quite expensive if you get the right stuff. www.Garf.org tells exactly what type of epoxy paint you need to get to avoid any harmful chemicals getting into the tank. I called to get a price on one of them and it was $250 for just the paint. It really only makes sense to do on a very large tank.

Kevin

I called to get a price on one of them and it was $250 for just the paint

Thats fine if that is the paint you want but i have 3 and n.o 4 in the making and the first one i built is a 55 gal with sump and being running for 12 months no not one fault with it

I suggest you go to a local tile store and ask for a non-toxic waterproofer that goes under tiles in the showers and bath ect: i picked up a 30 liter bucket for 50 $ aussie dollars and it did my 169 gal and my 55 gal breeding tank with 4 compartments. Over here the product is call liquid flash get this one if possible its just paint on and ready to go straight from the bucket (no mixing required)

This product is white so you will have to get a waterproof paint (also non-toxic) to change to the disired colour as white will show all the muck but you get this from the local paint store around 15 $ to 20 $ aussie dollars

hope this helps

plus the liquid flash fills any small !!!! gaps (like were the two bits of timber meet)

mwm said:
I Cant find that stuff in Canada, we used a like Cement type thing that didnt work at all and his tnak leaked like a siv
ouch, that must have been such a bummer, to see all that work go to waste. Leaked like a seive. hehehe, I like that. :alien:

Here are two good brands of non toxic epoxy paint. Maybe you could get these for cheap in small quantities.

sherwin williams brand "Epoxide HS Tank Lining

rustoleum brand "9200" system epoxy with color choices one of which is "9271" dunes tan

I got these from www.garf.org

If you want great information go to garf.org, then click on DIY pages on the left, and then click tank building. Enter in the desired dimensions and specify whether you will be using plywood with glass or plywood with acrylic.

Kevin

Pescado Guy said:
Here are two good brands of non toxic epoxy paint. Maybe you could get these for cheap in small quantities.

sherwin williams brand "Epoxide HS Tank Lining

rustoleum brand "9200" system epoxy with color choices one of which is "9271" dunes tan

I got these from www.garf.org

If you want great information go to garf.org, then click on DIY pages on the left, and then click tank building. Enter in the desired dimensions and specify whether you will be using plywood with glass or plywood with acrylic.

Kevin
thanx for that info, I was also thinking about building my own tank and after reading the DIY at GARF it won't be as hard as I thought.

Could someone post a picture??

Am i right in thinking this tank is complete marine plywood except the front glass ??

The person at the top is on about a 6x2x2 isnt this suicide? via drowning lololol

The pressure of such a large volume would this work lol

Let me know and show me pictures i wouldnt have believed this plywood tank would last long

If you have one thats lastest let me know and pics too??

Plywood tanks are very sturdy. They can last for decades. The best way to build one hoever is not with marine grade plywood but rather regular a/c plywood or a veneer a/a plywood. I personally like the veneer since it doesn't require patching. If you want to read more on tanks and construction here are a few links that I found very interesting.

500 Gallon Aquarium

Another DIY Tank

i have built two ply tanks, a 4*2*2 thats been going for about 6 months, and an 8*2*2 thats only had water in it for a week but seems to be doing well. i used a bitchumen based sealer thats called gripset here in aus. it was the only thing i could find that was rated for potable water and then siliconed all the joins over the top of that . forgot heres a link to some photos http://community.webshots.com/user/danglock

I used Ames Research's Elasto Barrier for the current tank i am working on. Prior to that I actually used marine fibreglass with a simple fibreglass resin, the same thing you can pick up at shucks or whatever.

The Elasto Barrier is much easier to use. The first wonderful quality of Elasto Barrier (EB) is that it is elastic. I have no worries about damage caused by rocks or anything of that nature. I also have no worries about flex. Tank flex is one of the scariest things a DIY'er can face. If you build you tank and seal it with a 2 part epoxy resin and did not brace it well enough it will tend to flex outward when filled. Along with that when drained it will return to it's previous shape (or close to it) This can cause the epoxy (which is brittle when bent at all) to fractures and poof instant wet floor.

The second reason I like the Elasto Barrier is because it goes on so easy and is non toxic even before curing. I can paint this stuff on without a gas mask or anything else like it. (one reason i hate silicone)

Other Tips

Use 1/8" or 1/16" neoprene spacers for your glass.

Cut small squares of neoprene and place them at intervals af about 8-12 inches around where you are placing your glass. Then generously lube the area with silicone just as you would normally. Set your glass in the tank making sure it rests evenly on the spaced neoprene. Then place some heavy objects on the glass to get the pressure required for a good seal. This will keep the silicone from spreading out and getting too thin to be useful as a seal for the glass.

Use Corner Braces

Most people who build DIY tanks only worry about the center brace. This is all well and good but why not go for the gusto when it comes to tank strength. Describing the braces is a bit rough so I will just post a few images. If you have questions please let me know. These are images of my current project.

The images are huge and I am lazy so just please click on the link.

Corner Braces - Side View

Top View

Well I don't mean to dredge up an old thread but I came across this and I am curious as to how things are still holding up for you all????

I am contemplating a plywood aquarium, and I believe this is a perfect start...this thread was 5 years ago, so I'd like to know who still has their tank with water in it??

I realize that there is good info out there, but the best information comes from those brave souls who put the theory into practice!!

So how about it...who still has their plywood tanks surviving after 5 years?

I find this concept very intriguing therefore, I can't help but ask if anyone has applied this idea of a (plywood aquarium) to a marine system? Could the salt have any type of reaction to the sealent? :huh:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back