Diy Fish Aerator

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hawil

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm planning to put my fish tank outside my house because I have no more space inside. Is there any way I can make a DIY aerator? I don't want to use any electronics as much as possible, kinda low in cash. The fish i'm planning to put are angel fish. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't even use an aerator on my aquarium. Just keep the water line low enough that it causes the water surface to ripple. It will put oxygen in the aquarium.

I don't even use an aerator on my aquarium. Just keep the water line low enough that it causes the water surface to ripple. It will put oxygen in the aquarium.

Really? Can aquatic plants help too? How much low could that possibly bee? Specially angel fish will be placed there

I should tell you that putting an aquarium outside is usually a pretty bad idea, I think. Make sure it is at least heated. Aquarium plants are always good but they breath carbon dioxide only when they have light, when it is dark they breath oxygen. So during the day they will help but at night they will take away the oxygen. The specie of fish really doesn't matter when your talking about oxygen levels. Like a dog will suffocate the same as human, different type of fish will suffocate just the same. You will have a terrible problem with algae if you put in sunlight. That aquarium will turn really green really fast. A surface ripple is the absolute best way to oxygenate the water. The level doesn't have to be low enough to make a splash, just low enough that it makes the water look rippled at the top.

I should tell you that putting an aquarium outside is usually a pretty bad idea, I think. Make sure it is at least heated. Aquarium plants are always good but they breath carbon dioxide only when they have light, when it is dark they breath oxygen. So during the day they will help but at night they will take away the oxygen. The specie of fish really doesn't matter when your talking about oxygen levels. Like a dog will suffocate the same as human, different type of fish will suffocate just the same. You will have a terrible problem with algae if you put in sunlight. That aquarium will turn really green really fast. A surface ripple is the absolute best way to oxygenate the water. The level doesn't have to be low enough to make a splash, just low enough that it makes the water look rippled at the top.

Thanks for the tips. I got the heat/algea problem covered. I was more worried about the oxygen. So you have answered my question about the problem so thank you. It's just a pair of angel fish anyway, they won't consume that much of oxygen, right? So some plants and an adequate height of water is enough.

Just to confirm, you do have a filter, right? Just making sure, because no one mentioned it specifically, and you said you were avoiding electronics. It's not just water level, it's the ripple caused by the filter output when the water is low enough.

Just to confirm, you do have a filter, right? Just making sure, because no one mentioned it specifically, and you said you were avoiding electronics. It's not just water level, it's the ripple caused by the filter output when the water is low enough.

Yes, there is no filter. Should I put a filter?
Disturbing the water surface is enough to acquire oxygen right? I might do something about it without using a filter

Wohh.. I don't think your fish have long. How do you expect to establish a cycled aquarium without a filter? Before your fish suffer and die you may just want to turn them into a fish store. You must maintain temperature and filtration.

Wohh.. I don't think your fish have long. How do you expect to establish a cycled aquarium without a filter? Before your fish suffer and die you may just want to turn them into a fish store. You must maintain temperature and filtration.

Okay. My brother just bought 1 today. DOn't know what kind but at least we have a filter. THanks

Make sure you change a lot of the water, every day, for the next six weeks at least and check out the advice in the newbies forum.

Most reactions

trending

Back