Diy External Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GoldenRoses

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just curious as to know if anyone has experience, or knows anyone that has made their own external filter?

My goldfish tank could use a bit more filtration than it has right now. Although I don't know the exact GPH of the fluvial canister filter, the tank could use a bit more surface agitation and water flow.

Unfortunately, a lack of funds make it nearly impossible to purchase an additional canister filter any time soon. Does anyone know an inexpensive way to make a canister filter, say $50 or less?

Is a water pump necessary for the filter, or can it be done with gravity alone?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

I don't have experience in making a canister filter, but I am in the same boat as you.  I ended up finding these filters 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-Stage-265GPH-External-Aquarium-Canister-Filter-75-Gallon-Tank-Kit-HW-302-/371141083035?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item5669bb7f9b

They are inexpensive and I have read good things about them/had them suggested to me by other forum members.  Depending on your tank size (which I would assume is large since it is a goldie tank), or if you just want some extra filtration rather than switching over to a single canister, you may want to consider those.  The ad I linked is an auction but there are many sellers on ebay selling them.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Squidneh, and thank you for the response!

Thanks for the link, that filter is almost exactly like the one I have now. When I bought it though, it was almost three times what they're selling it for online! I'll keep looking around on there for these filters.

The tank is 75 gallons, with two 6-7 inch comets and one 3 inch common goldfish.

Do you think it'd be cheaper to purchase one of these filters, or a homemade one?

I think it would probably cost about the same to build honestly - I looked into this a few weeks ago.  However before I could compile a good list of things I would need to make one and compare the cost of parts to the cost of a new one, I realized exactly how tough it was going to be to build one.  I am all for simple DIY projects, I like to build things and I always do things myself if at all possible, but it was way too complicated a task for me to create something that would be efficient enough to warrant using.

If you've made something similar, with small moving parts, propellers, etc, then maybe you could give it a go.  There are walk through videos on youtube if you search for them that can give you an idea of how to make one. Or if you like to tinker with things over a few months until you get it running, may be a fun project.

IMHO, I would go for one in the link.  That one is pretty much guaranteed to work efficiently, quietly, and not be a total stress fest to put together. A simpler and cheaper one could be made at home, but it wouldn't offer the same level of filtration, and with large fast growing goldfish in a fairly small tank you need all the filtration you can get. To build one that would function at the same level as one online would probably cost about the same as just buying one.

Sorry for my long windedness 
pepsi.gif

Thank you so much for the response. That is an excellent point! :)

After doing a bit more reading, I think you're right about just purchasing a filter. The ones that my LFS carries are extremely expensive, which is where the idea of making a filter came from. The one that you posted is much more within my price range, I'll defiantly look into purchasing one next month when I have a bit more cash.

Thank you so much! :)

We have those in the UK, they're traded as All Pond Solutions filters, so you'll find comments and reviews of them on the forum if you have a search.

I have a 2000lph model, it's flow isn't at all amazing compared to other similar filters quoting lesser flow rates, but it is good value for money nonetheless. It also has a fairly huge media capacity (they're huge, do check that you can get them in your cabinet), they also have huge pipework, so make sure you can fit the tubes through any gaps in your tank lid.

Other than that, they're somewhat power hungry if you're the bill payer, so they're not as cost effective in the long term as some, but they're certainly lighter on the pocket for initial outlay.

Thanks for the input, Dr Rob. :)

I have one of these (or something very similar) filters already, so I know it fits. I'm not too fond of the output flow either, it doesn't create much surface movement. any tips on how to increase surface agitation, besides with a powerhead?

I can pay long term costs much easier than taking a huge chunk of funds out right now, so I'm not super concerned about that.

And it turns out that a HOB filter in one of my smaller tanks just blew out, so I'm going to have to purchase yet another filter. :/ Are there any brands that you recommend?

Best answers I can give you for increasing the agitation is to take off most of the spraybar, it seems counter-intuitive but you get more flow at one point at the surface which tends to create more overall movement at that level.

The only other suggestion I can give is to run an overflow type system. They're not difficult to create out of standard drainage pipe and if you run them into a large container (I have a tank draining into a cut down water butt) then all you need is a return pump and you have a large sump filter, or go the whole way and run an old spare tank as a sump......

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back