DIY CO2

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The KH/GH test kits are gtting quite hard to find round here.

Can i start the CO2 anyway or wait till i get a KH/GH test kit.

There is one last place im going to try this morning.

You really need to know that your KH is 3 or above. I got mine up to 5. Else..... you could have some pretty wild PH shifts.

I'd add the co2 anyway. Your KH is likely to be high enough as you live in the same area as me, mine is KH 7. You'd find it very hard to dose high enough co2 levels with DIY to cause a problem. Measure your pH before co2 addition and after to see any difference in pH, this will give you an indication if your DIY co2 is working.

Thanks for the reply.

Im going out to my LFS now to see if they have any testkits.

:)

Well they didnt have any GH/KH test kits. :(

Im going to make the mixture right now.

Its been about 1.30 hours since i made the mixture. There is some brown type stuff/sediment forming at the bottom.

Is this supposed to happen?

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure everything is right.

update.

There are bubbles rising to the surface of the liquid in the bottle but no bubbles in the tank yet?

I have piece of tubing from bottle to a airstone in the tank. is this correct?

Edit: Its been 6 hours roughly since i made the mixture.

nitro said:
I have piece of tubing from bottle to a airstone in the tank. is this correct?
Have you made sure the CO2 can't escape through any gap or hole? How did you attach the tubing to the bottle/airstone? Silicone? You might also want to make a CO2 diffuser so as to allow full utilization of your CO2 in yout tank. If not, most of the CO2 escapes and it'll all be a waste of time/money. :( You'll also want to reduce water surface disruption as that allows CO2 to escape.

So, 2 things essential for success are making sure your CO2 has NOWHERE else to escape through other than that airstone, and secondly, making sure the CO2 gets in the tank and stays there long enough for it tofully diffuse, which won't happen if you continue to use an airstone. Google for CO2 diffuser or have a look at what other people who have DIY CO2 use to diffuse their CO2.

If you have a canister filter, you can attach the tubing to your intake filter instead of making a diffusion unit. Such a duffusion unit would be as easy as running the tubing with airstone inside a bottle that's attached to your tank (using suction cups or something) This way the CO2 won't escape and stay in the bottle until fully diffused.

HTH

Have you made sure the CO2 can't escape through any gap or hole? How did you attach the tubing to the bottle/airstone?

Ive got a rubber bung for the bottle and made a hole and put the tube through it.

At the other end the tube fits onto the airstone with a very tight fit.

Would this be any good.

Putting some suction caps on to the end of a gravel vac. Sticking that to the glass.
Then putting the tube carrying the CO2 aiming up the gravel vac where they collect.

Or Putting the tubing into the intake of the internal filter?

:unsure:

update.

This morning it was producing bubbles through the airstone. Since i was told that this was the incorrect way to do it i changed it.

This morning....
I got a one way valve to stop water siphoning back. Then i modified an old gravel vac end so i could put some suction caps on it and stick it to the glass.
I then put the tube underneath the gravel vac where the bubbles should collect,right?

Well its been nearly 3 hours an di havent seen one bubble yet. i took a pic which i will post the link to soon if i can not upload it onto this site.

Sorry about the quality, it was just a very quick pic
Pic1

I use 2 Liter soda bottles with their origional cap. I drill a hole in the cap that is very slightly smaller in diameter than the bulkhead fitting I am forcing into the hole. This makes a nice seal without silicon. If the mixture is bubbling but not going into the tank you either have an obstruction or a leak. An obstruction can cause quite a mess if the pressure builds up enough to break the container (I've never had it happen personally). Leaks can be found by submerging your entire setup in a bath tub or large bucket of water and watching for escaping bubbles. The problem I have had with a similar set up to yours is that sometimes when the diffuser is filled with CO2 the suction cups will come loose (maybe I'm not using enough suction cups) and the whole thing will float up to the surface uprooting any plants that have gotten in its way.

Most reactions

Back