District 9

I liked it a lot; it was a different kind of movie though, not quite what I was expecting. lol

My favorite movie of all time is Avatar! Saw it 3 times in theaters and have two posters of it in my room, lol, I have never bought posters of a movie before until I saw this one! James Cameron took movie making to an entirely new level!

-FHM

Anyone really enjoy this movie besides me? LOL. SH

Very good film, made me laugh alot also plus great effects and quite a novel way of doing a film as a movie diary type of thing. Been done before in horror movies (cloverfield / REC) etc but this was much better IMHO.

It was also a major statement re: apartheid. I have a friend/colleague from S. Africa and he tells me that there was a District 6 which this was a take on. I agree that the special effects with the 'prawns' were amazing...truly realistic appearing. Was done really well and makes you think.

As for Avatar, again, another really great job with special effects and very similar to the story of the American Indian. Cleverly thought out. I hope there will be sequels. SH

District 9

I'm from SA and can well imagine that this movie is based on happenings during the Apartheids era in district6 as it were, (near Cape Town) which played a major role in those days.. I have not seen the movie though :blush: ... but will make an effort to do so if (when) I get to the bigger centres where there are cinemas available.... not in my "one - horse" town though.

James Cameron said there will be two more movies made! Avatar is suppose to be a Trilogy!

Okay back on topic, lol, District 9...

-FHM

I'm from SA and can well imagine that this movie is based on happenings during the Apartheids era in district6 as it were, (near Cape Town) which played a major role in those days.. I have not seen the movie though :blush: ... but will make an effort to do so if (when) I get to the bigger centres where there are cinemas available.... not in my "one - horse" town though.

Definitely take the time to watch it, I thought the movie was really good, it didn't do the hollywood thing and follow some mundane plot that we've all seen over and over in different guises...

I am not great on SA history really but I didn't get the impression it was based on SA...For me it made me think a lot about how crappy humanity can be in general...especially when it comes to refugees no matter where they've come from

Nevertheless,... having hailed from South Africa and being (at least) nominated,- (and you guys liking it) I feel proudly South African!... I am now more motivated to make the effort.

Ludwig...this American would be interested in your take on it and also, any 'insider' comments after you've seen it. Eg....I've heard over here that the main character's name, 'Wickus can der Merwa', in itself, is a joke of some kind.

Anyway, loved the film.

SH

:lol: And you actually picked up on that... The typical SA joke allways involves this fella "Koos van der Merwe" as much as I would think "little Johnny Brown" would feature in English jokes. :lol:

funny how the view of films, change, person to person.

i see the comparison with the EX government system of SA, and the treatment of the "prawns", in District 9. but, aslo, saw it as a comment on the human propensity to treat anyone/thing "different". with fear and, often, violence.
yet i see Avatar as a comment on the west/developed world's (i hate that comment) way, of doing business. coulpled with a warning of, ignoring, our effect on the planet.

i would like to see "follow up's" to both.

ahh, i have read peoples comments and realise it is the film i thought it was.
Cant wait to see Avatar, its still fully booked at out local cinema.
But that is 3-D IMAX.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back