Disruptive Turquoise Rainbow Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Roostertail

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a turquoise rainbow fish who spends all his time chasing his tank mates. He is in a 30 gallon tank with a dwarf gourami, 2 glo tetras, a minor red tetra, 3 columbian tetras, a bolivian ram & what I think is a very small female gbr (she was sold to me as a bolivian ram, but I chose her because of the red around her eyes.) The tank is 77 degrees, ph 7.2, 0 amon, 0 nitrite & 5ppm nitrate using an api master test kit. I have 4 cave-like decorations & 4 live plants. He doesn't much bother with the rams, the gourami, the glo tetras or the minor red tetra, but he constantly chases the columbians. There is no obvious damage to any fish.

I have a 20 gallon with a betta & a boesmani rainbow fish who mildly tolerate each other, but I wonder if the two rainbows would be happier together. I have kept them separate so far because I'm fairly certain they are both males.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

As with many members, you arrive here with a problem, and this one is serious (for the fish). Of the fish you now have, the tetra and rainbowfish species are what we term shoaling species, meaning they absolutely must be kept in groups of their own species. There are artificial minimum numbers but it is always better to have more if the tank can support them; these fish have evolved to "expect" large groups, and when this is not provided it takes a very serious toll on the fish's health. That is what you are seeing with the turquoise rainbowfish...but it may well occur with some if not all of the others, depending.

Being "alone" like these are means severe stress; the green citation in my signature block is the issue behind this. Increasing your species numbers is not really an option because of the limited tank space. It would be best to remove several of the fish, either to a very much larger tank (or individual tanks, as there are other issues here) or to another aquarist or the store if they will take them. I'm afraid you have too many fish, or non-compatible fish, as it is, regardless of the shoaling issue.

Unfortunately, what is so far "chasing" is actually much more serious than it seems, and also is almost certain to become more serious still. Fish release chemical signals, pheromones that other fish in that species read, and allomones that other species read. These are communication tools fish use regularly, and right now your fish are sending out aggressive signals, and not just the one rainbow, but the other rainbow and the tetras. This cannot go on, because the fish will in time become so stressed they either turn very aggressive (physically) or they weaken and die. Separation is the only option.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Byron.

Thank you for your response.

Well that is disappointing. I am fond of all the fish individually, but I'd be hard pressed to set up another tank do to space. That said, I do not want to cause their suffering or death.

The rainbows were bought a the outset of this adventure & survived my clunky cycle learning curve & such. They came from a petsmart & were bought together to "school" on the advice from the salesperson, then separated when they seemed to be harrassing each other. I don't think they will take the fish back. I got the columbians from a nice mom & pop store, they might take them.

If I re-home the rainbows, do you think things will settle down? Despite some frustrations, I very much enjoy the hobby & feel determined to be a successful fish owner.

Incidently my 20 gal tank has the betta, rainbow & 3 sterbai cories & 6 harlequin rasboras. There is no trouble in that tank. The betta hangs out in a shipwreck ornament & the rainbow has a favorite plant at opposite ends of the tank. The rasboras & cories do their own thing. I also have a 10 gal with a small blue crayfish. (A much loved pet of my 5 yr old son... meh...)

I will be direct in some of my comments, so please do not take this as anything other than factual information for the sake of the fish. I will try to provide guidance that will be helpful going forward. What's done is done, and you can only hope for the best. Many of us started out similarly, and hopefully we lean as we go. Forums are great places to learn and avoiding trouble.

The crowded situation in both tanks, partly due to non-compatible species, is having an effect on the fish. This is more stress, which can turn fish more aggressive, but often in such situations fish do not show their "true colours," which is why many think all is well, but under the surface it is anything but well.

Red Minor Tetra...I would suggest getting rid of this fish any way you can. This is a feisty species prone to fin nip, and it needs at least 8-10 in its own 30 gallon tank, minimum. You could have a group of say 12 of this species in the 30 gallon, alone, and they would be in a good environment. But if you want other species, this loner willhave to go. Of course the stress may have now weakened it; this is something we cannot predict. Individual fiish can react differently.

The Columbian Tetra I would also re-home. This is a species that tends to be active, and a bit boisterous. It cannot be combined with cichlids or gourami which are sedate fish. The Columbian needs a 3-foot tank and a group, more data here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/Hyphessobrycon-columbianus

The glo tetra you need to identify...is it a glowlight tetra with the orange stripe? Or something else? It needs a group of six or more, but without knowing what it is I cannot suggest whether it is worth keeping in larger numbers or will be trouble.

The rasbora are peaceful and would like the 30g more than the 20g, but this is workable. Both rainbows are not, for space and numbers, and if any store will take them just to take them it would be best.

The gourami and two rams (Bolivian and blue) are best left in the 30g. If the rams are male, either, they will view the tank as "theirs" but if female, peace should prevail. These three, with the rasbora, would make a nice tank. And the cories, with another 2-3 for a total of at least five, or six as there is space. Cories are also shoaling fish and absolutely must be in groups, the moree the better; they live in groups of hundreds if not thousands of their species. Highly social fish, worth having more of as they will "play" a lot.

That leaves the Betta in the 20g, alone. I'm assuming it is a male. These are not community fish and do best alone. It could live in a 5g on its own if you don't want the 20g for just one lone fish.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with my issues. I take no offense at your directness, rather I appreciate it.

The glo tetras were sold as glofish. One is green, the other purple. I can see an orange-ish stripe from the eye to the tail on the green one. I got the red minor tetra to school with them although I quickly saw that they didn't get on. I was working under the assumption that 3 fish was sufficient for shoaling species. I also thought different tetras would school together. I can take him back to the store with the rainbows & columbians, after I call & find out about returning fish.

The cories & the rasboras have been great and I think moving them to the 30 gal and adding a few more cories is a nice idea.

The smaller ram with the red marking on its eye appears to have iridescent blue scales in the black spot on its side & that is why I think it is female. The other ram; I'm not sure.

A five gallon tank wouldn't take up much space & I may be able to swing that, since the 20 looks so empty with just the betta (which is how this all started).

Hopefully, I will find myself in a place in the future where I can have a very large tank with a school of rainbow fish. The one I have has an endearing personality, despite my current problem.

Thanks again for your input!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back