Discus fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of different things regarding how big of a tank is required. I have a 29 gallon tank, which according to the internet I should be able to fit 2-3 full grown ones (it says 1 per 10 gallons). However I have been told there is a minimum of a 55 gallon for one and then 10 gallons per each other one.
Has anyone that has had discus fish help?
My water parameters are good for the discus fish (moderately soft and I can have high temperatures), so my only question is about tank size.

I have heard a lot of different things regarding how big of a tank is required. I have a 29 gallon tank, which according to the internet I should be able to fit 2-3 full grown ones (it says 1 per 10 gallons). However I have been told there is a minimum of a 55 gallon for one and then 10 gallons per each other one.
Has anyone that has had discus fish help?
My water parameters are good for the discus fish (moderately soft and I can have high temperatures), so my only question is about tank size.

29g is to small im affraid. 65g (250 litres) would be the minimum for a small group of discus imo

Yeah I thought not. I will post another tread to see what people think I should stock my 29 gallon with.

Discus like angelfish are shoaling fish so it should be a group of five or six minimum. Exception would be a mated breeding pair, but I do not think you will find discus people recommending a 29g for this. A 4-foot length tank is minimum.

Most reactions

Back