Disappearing shrimp?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ellp

Reaction score
Hi there,

i used to own shrimp in the past, one crayfish later im sort of getting my tank back into shape.
so the fish in my tank currently are:
endler guppies
bristlenose pleco
golden nugget pleco
one corydora julii

i have a planted tank, and all my filters are shrimp safe
but every time i buy some shrimp after one night they all disappear! but no body parts or corpses are left behind which leaves me to think one of my fish are eating them rather than water quality?
yesterday i got 6 amano shrimp and today i cant find a single one! is it possible the cory is having a bit of fun at night or something?

What kind of shrimp are we talking about? There isn't a crayfish in with them right?

Some shrimp are more prone to climbing out than others. Amono and ghost shrimp have climbed out on me before but my cherries stay put. I've also heard that plecos will eat shrimp, but I'm still skeptical on that.

I agree with with Demeter. My Amano shrimp has crawled out of my tank and into my open closet with me finding it weeks later. Crayfish can be cannibalistic and are probably eating your shrimp if you have one. I have not heard of plecos eating shrimp but gobies. Peacock gudgeons will readily hunt down cherryshrimp.

My cherry shrimps steal food from under the nose of my big male peacock gudgeon, and he backs off. But the much smaller Daisy's rice fish (Oryzias woworae) chase juvenile cherry shrimps.

The secret is having lots of hiding places for the shrimps. I am sure that every fish in my tank eats baby shrimps but if there are places shrimps can go where fish can't reach them, some will always survive.

i'm pretty sure any fish will eat the shrimp if the shrimp is small enough.
I've witnessed my endlers chasing down juveniles before.
But as mentioned, they can crawl out...especially amanos.
and if they're all crawling out...I'd check your water parameters!
Shrimp are super sensitive and will run for the water line if they don't like the parameters.

It would be extremely unlikely that all those shrimp could have climbed out.

How long have you had the plants in the tank? Many commercially available plants have been treated with a pesticide, which will kill shrimps, and it can take quite a long time to be neutralised.

Have you ever used a copper based medication in the tank? The copper from those can persist for a long time and make the tank not shrimp safe.

Could you post the exact numbers from all your tests, please; include pH and hardness if you know them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back