Dirting My Tank... Is This Good Soil?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank I am currently using to house my spare plants because my current 20g is too filled with plants. I have a little bit of seachem flourite left over from when I made my 20g and on top of that is a lot of sand. I regret using the sand now and plan on replacing it with some dirt.

I know everyone says dirted tanks are a pain to cycle and stuff because it's dirt and there is more chemicals, and stuff, but I wanted to try dirting this one.

This is the dirt I bought at my home improvement store, idk anything about dirted aquariums. Would this be safe dirt to use? 

http://imgur.com/a/u2u6d

It's Miracle Gro Nature Care

I'm going to soak it, then just pack it into my tank and put the plants in. No fish yet.

Most soil is compossed mostly of silion dioxide, alluminum oxide, iron, and many other elements all from ground up rock.  Very little plant material is in soil.  The picture you linked to shows 60% moss.  Like many purchased potting soils it is mostly bark other plant materials with a little sand added.  If you put that in the tank probably much of it will float to the surface because most of it is not soil.

Have to agree with Steve on this one. The one way you could possibly use this is by using this as a base and then cover over the top of that with sand, though when you stick your hand in there are plant and all that stuff you risk pushing some of this up and getting into the water.

There are ingredients in that substance that I would never recommend be added to an aquarium with live fish intended.  We sometimes forget that what may occur without incident in nature will amount to a deadly disaster within the confines of an aquarium.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back