Different Temps

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

lenina1

Reaction score
I purchased an extra thermometer to take the temp of the new water when I do water changes. Last night I decided to put it in the tank to keep it out of the way. The original one I had in the tank is near the bottom and has a reading of 78 F. The new one is near the top and is reading 76 F. The are both on the same side, opposite from the heater. The heater is set to 78 F. Is this variation in temp something to be concerned about? I tend to be a little compulsive, so am I just being paranoid? Thanks for the help!

if anything, warmer water should be at the top

what kind of thermometers are they? if they're the stick on kinds, they're not very accu¸rate

Well, they have suction cups that stick to the side - is that what you mean? What would be an accurate kind?

I think the stick on kind are the ones you stick on the outside (correct me if I'm wrong). Do you have the kind that you stick to the inside of the tank with the suction things?

Yes, exactly. They both go on the inside of the tank and attach with suction cups. I just checked again and the top of the tank is still registering about 2 degrees cooler than the bottom. Weird.

Interesting...I'm guessing one isn't working. I have the same kind and I have one on the same side as the heater and the other on the far side and they both read the same. How many gallons does your tank hold?

My tank is only 26 gallons. I think maybe they are calibrated differently - which is kind of a scary thought. How do I know which one is correct. I guess you get what you pay for, but honestly - the lps didn't have any higher end thermometers. I am going to order the digital one I saw on another post - because to top it all off, I'm not sure my heater is working properly. It is set for 78 and tonight the 2 therms read 74 and 72.

Just like too many cooks can spoil the brew ... in your case it's to many thermometers :rolleyes:

Stick with one thermometer ... any thermometer. :D

Good Day ... B)

Hi...agree...dont kill yourself with two thermometers. You'll go crazy. And...as for the 'stickon' thermometers, they aren't perfect but they are pretty darn close. We use them in the operating room to monitor patients temperatures during surgery, so, I HOPE THEY ARE CLOSE TO ACCURATE. Here is a link...have fun. SH

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...9&N=2004+112986

Most reactions

Back