Different Corydoras schooling together?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IndiaHawker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
At the end of the month (thanks to the wonderful advice of members on here) I'm getting three more Cories to school with my existing Bronze Cory (Dory the Cory) that came with the tank.

Was originally planning to do this sooner but for various reasons - some dying Rasboras, and finances, and the site I was looking on running out of stock, it's been put off. However Fyora the Rasbora is hanging in there like a tough little cookie, and providing everything stays stable, I will be getting some more Cories in ~2/3 weeks!

I'd like to know if I'd be able to get some different types to school with Dory, for example the Emerald Green Cory and/or Albino Corydoras. To my judgement at least the Albino would possibly work as well as other Bronze Cories as it's just an albino version of the Bronze Cory, and I'm wondering about the Emerald Green Cory as well. My main reason for this is purely because I'd like to be able to tell them apart if possible, and add a bit more variety to my tank if possible - however the best of my judgement isn't nearly as close to the judgement of the lovely people on here - so maybe it would be much better to get all Bronze Cories? In which case that's what I'll do. Just wanted to check out my options with the pros first - please and thanks!

Most Corydoras will school together but you should try to have several of the same species even if you do mix species. So rather than having 1 of this and 1 of that, get 4 of this and 4 of that and put them together. The fish will be happier because they are with their own kind and they will behave more naturally. And who knows, they might even breed.

If you plan on getting more fish, set them up in a quarantine tank for a month before you add them to the main display tank. Otherwise you risk introducing new diseases that could kill your current fish.

A quarantine tank doesn't have to be anything special. You can use a 10 gallon glass tank with a sponge filter, heater and some plastic plants, or even a plastic storage container with a lid. The main thing is to keep all new fish separate for a month (or more if needed) to make sure the new fish don't have any diseases.

Thanks for the advice! As I only have a small tank and getting three more Bronze Cories is very much maxing out the stocking as it is (but advised by people who know their stuff on here), if Dory the Bronze Cory will be happier with three more Bronze Cories then that's what I'll do.

Worried as realistically I can't set up a quarantine tank. In an ideal world, and maybe a bit down the line, that'd be great. But for now I just can't afford what I'd need for it - the only tank I have that I can use right now is a tiny semi-circular thing which is much taller than it is wide and really wouldn't be ideal for Cories. Plus I can't afford to buy the extra equipment - filter, heater, etc, that I'd need for it as I don't think I know where the previous equipment is, plus the cost of running it for the moment wouldn't be great as my mum has already noticed a fair increase in electric consumption since getting this tank. In the past as a kid we never had quarantine tanks but maybe we just got lucky in regards to fish not getting ill? If I make sure to get the fish off a reputable site, am I safer in not spreading illnesses to my tank? Bit of a catch 22 - don't want to spread illness but can't set up a quarantine tank for the moment, but don't want Dory the Cory to be on her own for any longer than I can prevent :/

If you want an albino and a bronze cory they will be fine together because as you mentioned previously, they are the same species. So you can add an albino and a bronze and it would be fine.

40 litre plastic storage containers work well for quarantine tanks but it might be hard sneaking it into your room :)

If you can't quarantine fish then check the fish at the shop before you buy them. Look for any fish in the tank (doesn't matter what species) that is not swimming properly; has cream, white or grey patches or film over its body or fins; has clamped fins; cloudy or swollen eyes; red patches anywhere on the body or fins; white dots on body or fins; red or white mouth or lips.
Basically if one fish in the tank does not look 100% perfect, do not get any from that tank. And obviously if there is a dead fish in the tank, avoid that tank.

Corydoras are normally pretty healthy fish and most shops don't lose many of them. But if they are kept in a tank with livebearers like guppies, mollies, swordtails & platies, or in a tank with neon tetras, then the catfish will be more likely to have some diseases from the other species in the tank. And avoid getting any fish from a tank that has dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius), including any colour form of dwarf gourami in.

The albino cory may not be the same species as the Bronze. Albino forms are now available for the species Corydoras aeneus (the Bronze), C. paleatus, and C. sterbai. I think there are a couple more, but doesn't matter, and most stores are unlikely to know which to begin with. I would suggest staying with the Bronze here, as your space is strictly limited and these will be better together.

I agree - stick with what you have. My own experience is that different corys will shoal together if there is a group of each type. But if you have a solitary one in with a group of another type it will keep to itself.

Thanks for the help everyone! Was planning to buy online (after making sure I was shopping somewhere reputable), but out of luck the opportunity to go to a fish store came up, and I've bought three lovely bronze cories who all appear healthy, from a healthy-looking tank, in a fish store full of healthy-looking fish, so I'm really pleased - they seem to be getting on great! Thanks for the advice everyone, I bet Dory is a lot happier now :)

Cories need the same species to shoal properly together. I have 10+ albinos in one of my tanks. ALWAYS active and happy. I have several other groups as well. They shoal with their own species more than anything else.

Thank you! Really pleased I made the right choice thanks to the help on here :) Is the video watchable or does it not work?

Thank you! Really pleased I made the right choice thanks to the help on here :) Is the video watchable or does it not work?
You are welcome! ANd you could try a video but I don't see one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back