Different corydoras behavior

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Reaeve

Reaction score
Does behavior really differ from species to species? I know pygmeaus swims more mid than others and pandas like it cooler but are certain ones more active or playful or shy? Is it mostly just a color, size, temp choice when choosing which one? Just curious.

In my experience itā€™s just a difference in. Color and size. Iā€™ve had peppered, julii, sterbai and pygmy and while the pygmy does tend to be midwater the rest displayed the same behavior. There are some in the hobby that believe ( as I do) that corys of different species will school together and some that believe you need multiples of each species if you want to keep different ones. The danger of course is interbreeding but as long as you donā€™t intro any hybrids in the hobby itā€™s ok.

That said, individual fish do have their own personalities. People who donā€™t keep fish think Iā€™m nuts when I say that but itā€™s true

I have Peppered and Sterbai. They do behave slightly differently but not much. Do keep good size groups though. I had one pepper in with a group of Sterbai. The Pepper kept to himself and never joined the Sterbai until I added a few more Peppers. Now they do all school together at times but at other times stay with their own groups.

Yeah sorry I wasnā€™t clear on that. 6 is the magic number when dealing with corys and some say you need 6 of each but I think of you have two different species four of each is fine. I wouldnā€™t say have one peppered and seven sterbai but four and four works.

Yea I was just gonna do 6 or one species. I'm leaning towards peppered but we'll see if that holds until I'm done cycling lol

Corys are cool, When I fist got them I didn't know much about them still dont so you can imagine my suprise when they started making squeaking noises.

Corys are cool, When I fist got them I didn't know much about them still dont so you can imagine my suprise when they started making squeaking noises.
That's so cute! Makes sense since they're catfish but I wouldn't have thought they would.

One of my Peppers likes to lie on a little ledge half way up the side and watch me working on the computer - with the occasioanl wink for encouragement.

They fart too :)
They take in air from the surface and what goes in the mouth must come out the other end. So if you spend enough time watching you might actually see a fish fart :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back