Didnt Win The Nikon Dslr

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Reaction score

Canon EOS 400d Digital Camera Body Boxed
Lens - EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 II

i have heard good things about the 400d but im a dummy when it comes to lenses

the lens is whats called a "stock" lens.

gives you a basic range.

to help you understand the numbers, 18-55mm is the zoom range, where 0mm would give you a 180 degree view of whats in front of the lens directly underneath, directly above etc, and 800mm would be a really really long zoom. it's pretty rare you'll need anything lower than the 18mm provided by a stock lens and normally anything lower is just used for effect. however how much higher you want to go will be based on what you want to take photos of...

f/3.5-5.6 is the f-stop number, telling ou the range of the lens and how "wide" the opening on the lens can go to get light through. where the lower the number, the wider the opening so the more light it lets through (and as a side effect the shallower the depth of field - or less in focus, how you get an out of focus background)the higher the number the less light let through and deeper depth of field (more in focus, or everything in the photo in focus)

basically the wider the range the better, but for most things you want a lens to be able to go to a really low number.

but unfortunately i don't know much about that specific lens. but you could always search for some reviews of the lens.

^^^^ everything Chris said plus:

I rate the low-middle end canon bodies, for the money they are great. The 400d will do you very well. It may be worth shopping around a little bit though, the 400d is a good camera but is 3 generations back from the current model (400d->450d->500d->550d) so expect to not pay too much!

I bought a 450d package with 2 lenses quite some time ago now. There were the EF-S 18-55mm and EF-S 55-250mm kit lenses included, and both have image stabilisation (you want this!). I found the 55-250mm was something I used a lot more than the 18-55, I didn't really use anything below 55mm except on occasion when I wanted to take in a landscape etc. It does depend on what you want to photograph most, so give that some thought and let us know so we can advice you more appropriately.

Also, it's worth checking whether this lens has image stabilisation, as I think the earlier models didn't come with it as standard but I can't remember when the image stabilisation came as standard...

18-55mm will essentially provide what you may be used to with a compact camera, good for taking a lot in but not so good when you want to zoom in on something and fill the shot with it.

If this is cheap enough it will probably be worth going for it, I would imagine regardless of the lens you get initially after a little time using the camera you'll probably want a more expensive lens or 2 for specific use. The 18-55mm will be fine for the beginning of your photography learning adventure :)

edit: Just for info I have the 2 lens above but also bought these below, reasons given so you can understand things a bit more:
  • Tokina 100mm AT-X F2.8 Pro Macro (http://www.shutterbu...ses/0106tokina/) - I use this for 1:1 close ups, it is a "true" macro lens and has a very short minimum focal distance of around 30cm. Still getting to grips with it but it is useful for taking shots of the fish and small things as well as great portraits etc when out and about.
  • Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM (http://www.stockholm...sigmapage1.html) - heavy! need a monopod/tripod regardless of image stabilisation being there. This is my new toy and I am slowly getting to grips with it. Probably the most money I'll ever want to pay for a lens. Great for medium to long range shots, I'll be using this more as the light improves when spring finally arrives, where I'll be roaming around the Norfolk Broads (7 miles away from me :)) and visiting some wildlife reserves and zoos.
I hope that all helps a little...

yeah that help a lot thanks guys. its still got days left nobodys bid yet so im just watching for now and see what happens , im really looking for 1 that has a macro lens already with it , like the nikon i got outbid on . or if i cn get 1 cheap enough to get a macro lens as well seperate i may be tmpted

You can also get the tamron that was with the last one in a canon version. To fit their mounts. And that is or was about £130 when I got mine.

Wish I could give you more info but I don't have a canon. But there are some great lenses out there for them. Is the 400d the one nicknamed the rebel?

yeah that help a lot thanks guys. its still got days left nobodys bid yet so im just watching for now and see what happens , im really looking for 1 that has a macro lens already with it , like the nikon i got outbid on . or if i cn get 1 cheap enough to get a macro lens as well seperate i may be tmpted

No worries...we're here to help, so you want a macro for fish pics aye :)

Bear in mind the sort of money they are to buy, you were so unlucky not getting that Nikon you posted about!

I got that Tokina brand new for £275, it's a good price for a decent new 100mm 1:1 macro...

IMHO opinion I think you'd do best getting a body only or one with a cheap kit lens like you've found and then looking separately for a second hand macro....have you seen how much a second hand macro of your choosing is going for? Most people would sell on the body, keeping the macro for the next camera they're buying, or sell everything they have which would probably be for quite a bit of cash.

Also bear in mind tele-macro lenses aren't true macros, they won't give nice a 1:1 ratio and won't allow for such close focusing...it may not matter for you though, your call.

after reading a few reviews im currently top bidder on a cannon eos400d .

Yeah get a Canon Mark, you won't regret it, I had the 350D for 4 years before upgrading to the 500D, they are great cameras and i'm not sure what your wanting it to shoot ( Discus perhaps :nod: ) but the standard lense will do a great job of taking most everyday photos,

and tbh the 350D could even be worth considering as it has all the same functions of the 400d but will be much cheaper, the only difference is the pixel difference but IMO8mega pixel is more than enough unless you are looking to print on a large scale A2+

Good call on the 350d Davo86, it is a great body and with the savings more money will be available for a good lens...

A friend of mine does countryside sport photography and has a 50d, but often just takes his backup 350d out with him instead and gets excellent professional shots...it's all about the lenses ;)

got it in 1 davo i want to do a journal thru every stage of setting up the discus tank and i want to do it with decent pictures . atm im not too fussed about close ups so i dont mind getting a macro lense later on , for now all i want is good clear pics with true colour representation

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back