Diatoms Returned, Why?

Sammy1911

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a 100*45*55cm tank with 1500lph wet/dry filter, lighting 1*30w daylight & 1 25w which well over 18mths old, these are on approx 6-8hrs a day. as per title diatoms have returned in my established tank, as soon as i thought they were nearly all gone - ive changed nothing but theyre back aggrrr...
i was in the process of adding a sand path and renewing the lights but will put these on hold until i find out whats going on.
observations: the plants directly in the path of the filter stream (which is about half way up the tank) dont have have any but below it does and so do the plants to the side. i have a big rock just off centre so im thinking about removing that to see if thats creating a dead spot and just leave the bogwood, the water also looks to have tiny particles floating in it... also diatoms? i have 2* sae's & 2*nerite snails, i will be getting a baby bn but im not due to get him for 2weeks. i dose 5ml of easycarbo daily and was dosing 2.5ml of profito daily but have stopped the profito until i do the water change to see if it thats helps.... fish food i feed baby brine eggs 2-3 times a day and have a fast day.
Any ideas re the cause??

Well, personally I change my lights every 6-8 months, even if they seem like there running totally fine the spectrum of the tube gets altered slightly through the tint slowly changing over time from constant heat. Even when growing other types of indoor plants (not underwater) changing the lights more often will be beneficial to the plant, and the bulb will actually be putting out the spectrum its said to on the box. I've noticed when keeping the same light bulb in for too long it really will cause an algae outbreak of some sort, just like using the wrong spectrum bulb will

In other words, their is always going to be small amounts of algae in a tank no matter what you do. Its impossible to completely remove it as it's in the air, and water you use to refill the tank. unless it's really ugly and or choking your plants out, I really wouldn't stress about it. changing that one old light could help though.

Edit: Also to put into account, if your tank is absolutely spotless, but your filter is really dirty that will contribute a lot to the algae growth, and you may not think to check it.

cutting back on feeding, and upping water changes in my experience is the best way to combat annoying algae outbreaks.

Could always buy some purigen and throw thatin your filter, best diatom filter around. That is if you can't find a cause of the diatoms first.

great thanks both! i will proceed with the new bulbs and do 15% water change twice a week thereby doubling my current routine. having read up on purigen now i think i will invest in some anyway!
i love this forum, u guys r so helpful!!!

No worries its what we're here for. :)

Update from me.... got two new flourescents: 1x30w aquaglo, 1x30w sunglow. bought some fast growing plants to take out excess nutrients (cabomba, watersprite, wisteria, eleoda), water changes increased to twice a week (totalling 40% p/w) changing feeding ferts from daily to weekly, maintained easycarbo at 5ml p/day I STILL have diatoms growing... boo!

Im thinking of a school of ottos 3-6 (?) and purigen - putting this off as i spent alot on fish this weekend lol any other ideas or am i jumping the gun in only waiting a couple of weeks...??

Should have bought the purigen, best diatom filter going.:)

righteo 'o will scrape some more pennies from somewhere ....!! fortunately, my oh didnt notice the bulbs haha! what he doesnt know wont hurt eh......

yes thats right - sand path, its quite narrow. I will try and post a pic

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back