Diatom Algae Or Something Else?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishBlast

Tiny fish
Reaction score
Lately I've been putting this neon lamp near my plant until my dad makes a proper lid for the tank so that I can put the bigger tubes up.
So this white light has shown that on the glass there are these tiny round things that look like... jellyfish? They move with the current, so when a fish passes by, they shake. They hang on to the glass quite well, as I've tried to scrub them off with a brush and with my hand... neither worked. The snails however, have managed to eat some of those things.

What in the world are they? They're not even a millimeter in size, but they can only be seen when a white light is shining on the glass / through it.
I've also changed 30L of water today, so that might have caused something to fly from the sand (water was a bit foggy after the water jet upset the sand). But why are they hooking up to the glass so hard?

It sounds like hydra - google it and take a look at the pictures to see if it is. They are most prevalent in tanks where there is overfeeding and large amounts of small live foods. hey are mostly harmless, feeding off of tiny critters for the most part, but they are also reported to attack and kill small fry. This is a given based on the method that they use to catch their prey, which employs their stinging tentacles. In a full grown community they do not pose a significant threat.

They seem to attach themselves to tank walls and other places with good water flow, but can also be free floating until they attach somewhere. Best way to try to get rid of them before you resort to chemicals is to stop overfeeding. Unless you are festooned with them i wouldnt worry too much.

It sounds like hydra - google it and take a look at the pictures to see if it is. They are most prevalent in tanks where there is overfeeding and large amounts of small live foods. hey are mostly harmless, feeding off of tiny critters for the most part, but they are also reported to attack and kill small fry. This is a given based on the method that they use to catch their prey, which employs their stinging tentacles. In a full grown community they do not pose a significant threat.

They seem to attach themselves to tank walls and other places with good water flow, but can also be free floating until they attach somewhere. Best way to try to get rid of them before you resort to chemicals is to stop overfeeding. Unless you are festooned with them i wouldnt worry too much.
They don't look like hydras though. They are transparent blobs (like the head of a jellyfish) but don't have tentacles. They do not move on their own, they only are moved by the water disturbance.
They are all over the tank as well, not in waterflow areas but all over the tank and seem to be growing out of the white stuff that covers the walls. They are spread out though, there is considerable distance between them.

As for the feeding, there is no leftover food, as I make sure all fish eat the food directly at the top of the water, if anything falls, the swordtails quickly remove it.

I cannot get a good picture of it, but it looks like white algae a lot, although not as bad as in this picture I found on google images:
white-algae01.jpg

EDIT: This is all I can photograph, it doesn't even show much, but the white cover that just won't go off my tank walls sure shows, as the light appears foggy when seen from that wall that has the most of those white things. But the dots just cannot be seen in this picture, and no they are not those big reflection dots on the right. These things are so small and almost transparent I just cannot catch them in the pic.
2zxs8bm.jpg

Then they sound like they could be Bryozoans. Several varieties live in freshwater and attach in colonies to twigs and ornaments in the water. They look like brown blobs of jelly. Jelly Blobs or Bryozonans are common and do not cause problems, infact hey indicate good water quality.

Then they sound like they could be Bryozoans. Several varieties live in freshwater and attach in colonies to twigs and ornaments in the water. They look like brown blobs of jelly. Jelly Blobs or Bryozonans are common and do not cause problems, infact hey indicate good water quality.
On google images, nothing looks like what I have.
I have transparent jelly blobs that are less than 1 mm in size and are scattered over tank wall surface. They shake whenever a fish disturbs the water around them, but they aren't moving when left alone. They aren't compact like a colony, but very spread out.

I doubt my water is too good in quality, I change a third to about half of it once a week (and almost daily 1.5L) and my live plants aren't doing very well either, their old leaves started to go yellow and become snail food, only their new sprouts are up.

Also, the walls are slimy to the touch.

The blobs have disappeared suddenly overnight. o_O
Only thing I saw odd in the tank today was what looked like a single tiny white maggot running like a caterpillar over the glass. I cannot identify it, as it is not listed in the "Hitchhikers in FW tanks and ponds". So no idea what that thing is.

I cleaned the filter in a tub of tank water today, took two snails out of it and put them back in the fish tank. Now the filter's clean too. Cleaned the fry cage with a syringe. Did another 11L water change today, even though I did a 30L change about 2 days ago when cleaning up some leaves off my plants.

On a side note, my apple snails are showing off their tentacles, I guess they're happy and the fish got used to them.

So they are not snail eggs?
I don't know, I don't see an excess of snails, just the 4 (Ramses and 3 of his babies) roaming around the tank.
I'd expect at least 100 pest snails from the amount of jelly blobs that was on the tank walls.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back