Decorative Root

royboy

Reaction score
Hi My tank has been set up now for two weeks, part of the decoration is a small lump of root sold specially for fish tanks, it has slightly turned the water a pale yellow colour, I don't mind the colour it seems to give the tank some atmosphere (apparently this is tanning).
My problem is that there is now a grayish Cotton wool like algae growing on the root, the fish seem o.k with it they have a feed on it now and again, can any-one tell me if this is a natural occurrence on these roots, and do I need to get rid of it.
There is not any of this algae on any other of the tank decorations plants e.t.c. it's only on the root.
The light in my 24x15 tank is a 15 watt Glo light, for the first week it was on for 16 Hrs a day, now it is on for 8 Hrs a day.
Royboy

I have some of what you are talking about growing on a pot, although im not sure about its cost/benefits so I am interested to here what others have to say.
Good Luck :)

Grey? Sounds more like a mould, fungus or bacterial colony then algae, I'd scrub it off.

Thanks for the advice Lateral, in-fact I done a water change to-day and the syphon took up the stuff quite easily. I left a bit , the fish seem to like it.
thanks for your help :D royboy

Most reactions

Back