dead goldfish everywhere

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

samctex

Reaction score
I have gone through 6 gold fish in the last 3 months. I have them in a 3 gallon tank on my desk at work. I have nothing but the tank, water and gravel and a small plastic tree in the tank. However, I buy them and put them in the water and they seem to live for about 2 or 3 weeks and die. Everytime one has died, I have replaced him, but for now I am leaving the tank empty. I have been doing a 20% water change about every two weeks and feeding them about 3 times a week. The water is cool. I am sad... :( help me please.

:*) :no: :-( :sad:

What are the levels in the tank? has it ever cycled? I used to have asmall tank in a classroom that i taught in that had this problem and it turned out to be the air conditioning system blowing dust(that must have been toxic to the fish) into the tank. Don't know if you have the same problem but i would check the levels in the tank anyway. HTH

How big were the goldfish? and was your tank cycled? It was probably ammonia that killed them would be my guess. Thats not very big for a goldfish and they poop every 5 seconds in my experience. Plus goldfish get very big, a 3 gallon tank would not be suitable for a gold fish imo. I'd suggest getting a betta provided that it doesn't get too cold where this tank is kept. HTH

That's a super small tank for a goldfish, perhaps the ammonia levels rose faster then you could keep up with even with your water changes. How often and how much did you feed.

ALASKA

Sorry this has happened to you and your fishes.

you sure some idiot isnt doin things to the water?

sounds funny i know but has happened in past,

With a tank that small you should be doing more water changes, especially if you don't have a filter. Try doing 25% every week.

Also you should only have one goldfish in there. One will be hard enough to keep alive, let alone two or three.

Sorry to hear what's happened to your fish :(. I have to agree with just about everybody else who has posted. 1 goldfish will be happiest with a 10 gallon tank minimum; they produce too much waste to be happy (or to survive) in a smaller volume.

Any chance you could get a 10 gallon (or 20 gallon) tank to put on your desk at work?? :)

It's too bad we don't have a beginner faq for goldfish in the goldfish forum... Not to make more work for anybody, but perhaps one of the resident coldwater experts could generate a faq...

I read in Aquarium fish Magazine that for smaller gold fish the min tank size is 5ga per fishl w/a really good filter because they produce major waste!

You do realise that each goldfish needs at least 10 gallons do you? 6 in a 3 gallon... it's no wonder they're dying left and right.

http://goldfishparadise.com has more info on goldfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back