Dead Fish, Shrimp Feasting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a very small colony of Red Cherry Shrimp that I am very surprised have survived. They hide in between the roots of the Anubia Barteri on top of the driftwood. They are quite large now that the other fish do not bother with them because I noticed they do come out at Night and zero deaths.

Today while doing my morning check of the tank I noticed 2 Shrimp eating a Harlequin Rasbora that was in between the Roots. I quickly did a water test, everything is good, looked at the other fish, all is good. At this point, I'm guessing it may have gotten stuck in between the roots and died, cause I doubt it died elsewhere and the Shrimp went and carried it back to the colony.

My question is, they are currently consuming it, should I remove it, or just let nature do its thing for a day or two?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Shrimp are nocturnal and usually come out after it gets dark. If you have lots of plants (including floating plants) in the tank they will feel more secure and be more likely to come out during the day.

Dead harlequins weigh nothing in water and shrimp are quite capable of carrying objects much larger than themselves around an aquarium. The water makes the dead fish almost weightless so the shrimp simply have to pick it up and move it.

You want to remove any bodies asap to prevent them releasing ammonia into the water and causing a possible ammonia/ nitrite spike. This is more important in small volumes of water or tanks with an alkaline pH (pH above 7.0). Having said that, if the shrimp have almost finished the harlequin you can probably leave it for them. If most of the harlequin is still there, then take it out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back