De wormer and new corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlexT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Anyone here use, or know about using, a de-wormer as a prophylactic for newly acquired corydoras? I do not, but I am curious.

I never medicate that way. Fish must clearly need a med before I use it. I also know not everybody shares this opininion. The ie especially true for thise who import wild fish. This is also one of the reasons we should quarantine new fish. So we can observe them for a hile to make sure they are not compromised in any way.

Also, bear in mind there is some difference between the problems that may come with wild caught fish v.s. farm and tanks raised fish. Moreover, they should also have differing resistances to different diseases parasites etc.

Most medication are usually a bit stressful for fish. So I prefer not to subject fish not needing a medication to be subjected to it. Of course, this does not apply when the whatever is being treated is contagious. Then the whole tank needs to be treated.

As for what treatments I have- Praziquantel, Levamisole HCL and Flubendazole

Section 3 of the following link tells you about deworming fish. Deworming fish is about the only prophylactic treatment I do for fish, and I do it while they are in quarantine.

If you want to use flubendazole, Maidenhead aquatics own brand AquaCare Anti Fluke and Wormer also contains it. (Comparing this to the NT Labs product makes me wonder of MA's brand is actually made for them by NT Labs?)

Corys are a special case because the body armour hides a lot. I would have no qualms about using Prazi on them. If they come from the wild, the type of worms they'd carry would be dealt with by prazi.
If they are farmed, they can have many more problems. There, you might need levamisole, but I would observe - nematodes protrude from the anal vent and give you a warning. The chances of nematodes in wild fish are very very slim, but they are common on farms..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back