De-clorineators

newland

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

I have been given a walter filter thats basically a carbon filter and was told that if you run your water through that everything would be fine to put so no need to de-clorineatre.

Is this true.

I'm also thinking what about water filter for kitchin use such at a brita filter.

These claim to remove clorine so i assmune this is the same if not better than a de-clorineator? As it also removes sedemate and water hardness too.

I use it for my fish and they are all ok.

Anyone else using this method? or am i doing something wrong and is it a MUST to use a de-clorineator chemical to remove it?

I really don't like to ADD Chemicals to my water.

I guess it depends what your PH is like at the moment.

I've always read to add something like 'tapsafe' or another good de-chlorinater when cycling a tank or when doing regular water changes.

I wouldn't fancy using a brita filter to be honest, hopefully you don't have a 200g tank otherwise you'll be there for years!!!!! Also I wouldn't like to say what the filter adds or removes from the water that may be vital.

If you have fish in there already I would personally do a PH test, see where you are with that as (correct me anyone if I'm wrong), suddenly changing the PH could be disasterous.

Hope that helps
Pete

I have been given a walter filter thats basically a carbon filter and was told that if you run your water through that everything would be fine to put so no need to de-clorineatre.

Is this true.

Yes and no. If you are absolutely, 100% certain that your tap water contains chlorine, then carbon filters, including brita's, will do the job. BUT, if your tap water uses chloromine it won't work - you'll need to use a water conditioner meant for it.

Running your water through the brita is the same as putting carbon in your filter, except it's more work. It doesn't remove water hardness because it doesn't remove minerals from the water - it will remove certain dissolved chemicals that may reside in the water. It will also remove certain dissolved nutrients in the water too, for that matter.

cheers for the advice.

I'm only running a 10 gal tank at the moment so botteling it in advanced is not a problem.

With this in mind i think i may start using water conditioner instead of filtering it.

So whats the reason De-clorineators have to be used?

Is it simply because it will kill all bacteria good and bad?
Or is there a more serious reason?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back