De-chlorifier Has Made My Water Turn Blue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SteveVenezia

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought a 160 litre tank, upgrading from a smaller one. I set it up last night and used the free water treatment (to get rid of chlorine) that came with the tank, which told me to add 5mls per 10 litres. So I emptied most of the bottle in there (80 mls), stirred it about and got the filter (exterior) going.

The problem is the water treatment was a dark blue colour, and now (the morning after) the water is still very blue.

Does anyone know if this is normal for large tanks, and will it simply go away after a while? Or might I need to change the water and use another water treatment?

Hi,

I've just bought a 160 litre tank, upgrading from a smaller one. I set it up last night and used the free water treatment (to get rid of chlorine) that came with the tank, which told me to add 5mls per 10 litres. So I emptied most of the bottle in there (80 mls), stirred it about and got the filter (exterior) going.

The problem is the water treatment was a dark blue colour, and now (the morning after) the water is still very blue.

Does anyone know if this is normal for large tanks, and will it simply go away after a while? Or might I need to change the water and use another water treatment?

Sounds like Methylene Blue to me :unsure: . I used to use this alot years ago but now I wouldn't touch it! It kills most plants and is stressful to the fish. It also (I've been told) removes most of the bacteria, good and bad, from your tank.

Lisaxx

i'm guessing methy blue too. but never before have i heard it being use for dechlorination. i dont think it will go away unless you do some water changes

Last time I used it (over 2 yrs ago) it took more than a week for the water to clear. During that time my bogwood turned blue and all my plants died. Try using carbon in your filter cause that removes dyes. If you don't have fish in the tank then I'd take all the water out and start again.

Lisaxx

IME & IMHO, no dechlorinator would contain methylene blue. methylene blue is a medication and chlorine neutraliser is a water conditioner. the chlorine neutraliser from science products is blue and leaves a tinge of blue in the water so it is possible that there are other brands that are blue also.

the best way to make sure is to look at everything in your tank. is there anywhere that seems to have been stained blue?? or, look at the colour...is it a pretty blue or is it kinda of a greeny bluey colour and very dark?? if by some chance it does have methylene blue in it, i would say it isnt the product you think it is. if anything in your tank is stained blue then there is def meth blue in it. if things arent stained then you have no probs

Well I changed the water completely and used my old (proper) dechlorinator, and it fixed it right up. Must have just been the lame free one the shop gave me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back