Cycling

ade

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

On my 2nd tank now, but never really "did it the correct way" with my first, so treating myself as a newbie and learning from scratch.

Had a 38gal tank running for 3 days now. No livestock, just plants. Added some Bio-start on day one, in the hopes of jump-starting the cycling process. Also added a few bits of food to start breaking down.

Did water tests last night, but didn't have time to wait the 20 mins for the Ammonia test to do its stuff, so checked the pH and nitrites. (Didn't get to do the nitrates before heading off to bed!)

Nitrites were at about 0.8, so is it safe to assume that my beneficial bacteria (seen an advert for those drinks on tv!) are doing their stuff with the ammonia, and that things are progressing nicely?

Reason for asking (you mean there is a reason?)...trying to keep tracks on what is happening in there, so that when I start adding fish I have some idea of what happens in that tank already - trying to play it safe with this tank as the other was more trial and error.

ALSO......once it has cycled once, should I start adding fish then? Or should I add some more food to cycle it again and build up the bacteria numbers before adding fish?

Cheers!

Hi Ade,

Alien Anna, one of the regulars on here, has written this fantastic article on fishless cycling here- don't know if you've already read it, if so sorry :p ! If not hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

As a brief answer though I would say if your tank has been running for 3 days only it won't have cycled yet, and the nitrites are probably low because the whole process has yet to get going :)

Hi,

I was actually thinking the nitrites were quite high...given that they would have been 0 to start with, I was quite pleased to have some nitrites showing that quickly - bizarre thinking or what? lol

:lol: Sorry for the misunderstanding! I think I will leave this cycling business to the experts!

PS have a look at the articles at the top of this beginner questions forum... I think there is some REALLY good stuff there and well explained for peeps like me! :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back