Cycling without filter media or gravel

OrkyBetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Is it possible to do a fishless cycle without filter media? Will my results be the same?

Yep. :) Here's something I found on this site:

I have a betta in a fish bowl. Can I cycle without a filter?
You certainly can (and should). Just follow the same procedure as for a larger tank - the bacteria should colonise your gravel. Since the bacteria really need oxygen to do well, adding an air-pump with an air-stone, or better yet, a small tank filter of some kind, will improve things even further.

I know you said without gravel, but the bacteria would most likely colonise ornaments, plants etc.

Hi OrkyBetta :)

You would be able to grow some beneficial bacteria in the sand and on the other surfaces, but not as many as you could if you have a filter with plenty of filter floss or other media.

This is because normally most of the bacteria live in the filter. The tiny strands of media, or the sponge with all the holes to form many different surfaces is what they grow on.

If you don't have a filter you cannot keep very many fish in even a big tank. The inch per gallon guideline is for filtered tanks, so it wouldn't apply without one. :D

I'm not saying I would do it today because research is telling us otherwise....but............

30 years ago I was keeping fish very successfully in unfiltered tanks working on a ratio of 1" fish to 6sq" of surface area.

It is so different today tho...1" to 1gal...cycling...biological filter systems...etc

Thanks all! I was just wondering. Very cool info though!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back