Cycling with SeaChem Stability and Ammonia?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SNicole

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently on day 6 of cycling my 36 gallon aquarium.

I dosed my aquarium up to 3-4 ppm of ammonia on day 1 (and confirmed this with the API master kit) as well as the recommended day 1 dose of SeaChem stability.

However, I've been testing the water every day, which I realize probably isn't necessary, but I haven't noticed a change in any of the values!!! The ammonia is consistently the same at 3-4 ppm, the nitrites are zero, and the nitrates are zero. I have not added any more ammonia, but have continued with the recommended daily dose of SeaChem stability.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something? Or is this the normal time it takes to cycle? I heard of people cycling their tanks in 10 days with SeaChem stability so I'm just at a loss. I feel like my tank isn't going anywhere. I will be patient if this takes a month or two, but I want to at least make sure it's working. Thanks!

Last edited:
It looks like the Stability is not working. That could be because it's old stock, it's been stored incorrectly by either the distributor or the local fish store (LFS).

I'd say you're in for a longer cycle than anticipated, at least you haven't added any fish yet.

If you have friends with tanks, see if you can swap some of your filter media (floss, bioballs, ceramic rings, sponges) for some of theirs, anything up to 25% should not affect either tank.

All you can do other than that is continue to be patient.

That's really too bad. The stability doesn't expire until 7/2020 and I purchased it recently from PetSmart. I should go in there and return it, but I have a feeling they're going to look at me and think I'm lying when I return it and say that the bottle is 1/4 gone but it doesn't work. Lol.

I actually don't really have a way to get filter media from anyone, unfortunately.

However, even if I were cycling with just ammonia, should I be seeing something by now or when do you typically see a drop in ammonia?

It looks like the Stability is not working. That could be because it's old stock, it's been stored incorrectly by either the distributor or the local fish store (LFS).

Another possibility is that the water is lacking a nutrient the bacteria need to grow and multiply. unfortunately there isno way to know which nutrient it is unless you have a fully equipped lab.

The drop in ammonia can take up to 14 days, in my limited experience. It all depends on how many bacteria you had to start with, and I can't think of a way to determine that.

Thank you both.

It could definitely be a lack of a nutrient in my water that would prohibit the bacteria from rapidly multiplying, but if that were so, wouldn't I see at least an initial drop in at least some ammonia (or a rise in nitrate/nitrite how ever little) due to me adding the bacteria everyday for a week? That's assuming the bacteria were alive and I didn't get a "bad" bottle of stability.

I don't know if it helps to mention this, but my aquarium water began to cloud after a day or two and remained cloudy for a few days. I noticed it started to clear up some yesterday and today it's crystal clear. What's that about?

I don't know if it helps to mention this, but my aquarium water began to cloud after a day or two and remained cloudy for a few days. I noticed it started to clear up some yesterday and today it's crystal clear. What's that about?

That was a bacteria bloom. Bacteria are definitely growing in your tank. However many nay have not been the ones need to control nitrogen levels. It may take a little longer for the nitrogen bacteria to get going in the tank.

Update:

Still the same. It's day 11. I used an entire 8 ounce bottle total now that is supposed to treat up to 1,000 gallons. There is no risk of overdose, the bottle says. So the darn SeaChem stability can't be working if I still have the exact same ammonia level (3-4 ppm) and zero nitrites/zero nitrates. I talked to PetSmart yesterday and they replaced my bottle of stability after I explained my situation. Could it be from the same truck? Maybe, sure. It does have a different expiration date, though. I added some last night and re-tested tonight and same results. I'm baffled. I feel like I can't get my tank to even begin cycling. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back