Cycling Tank - Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ogelthorpe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good day everyone,

Just setup my new Fluval Flex 9 tank (again!) yesterday. No live plants - just plastic plants, spider wood, stone and black gravel. I added Fritzyme Fishless Fuel (ammonia) last night and a couple hours later added the Fritzyme 700 Turbostart nitrifying bacteria. This morning, my tank is cloudy (white, milky) so I tested the water and I'm getting 0ppm for everything (Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrate). Does this make sense and what should I do next?

Thanks!

What kind of test kit are you using? What kind of conditioner?

I've never used either of those products, so no experience with them

Leave it for 24 hours and if it's still cloudy after that, drain the tank and refill it with dechlorinated water.

What kind of test kit are you using? What kind of conditioner?

I've never used either of those products, so no experience with them
Hey - thanks for the reply. Using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and Prime Dechlorinator. I note the Prime Dechlorinator also detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well, so perhaps I should have waited longer to introduce the ammonia and bacteria? I did wait several hours though.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I read the fishless cycling instructions and dosed ammonia to 3ppm yesterday. I know it says to wait a couple days, but I tested today for kicks and it came back at 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and 0ppm nitrates. Does this make sense? Where is the ammonia going if it's not being turned into nitrites and then nitrates? Do I just wait another couple days or dose again?

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I read the fishless cycling instructions and dosed ammonia to 3ppm yesterday. I know it says to wait a couple days, but I tested today for kicks and it came back at 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and 0ppm nitrates. Does this make sense? Where is the ammonia going if it's not being turned into nitrites and then nitrates? Do I just wait another couple days or dose again?
Do you have plants? Im sorry if you have already said you do, I havent really looked at this thread at all

Are you doing regular water changes during cycling?
No water changes yet and tank has only been setup for 4 days. On the first day, I added ammonia and then Fritzyme 700 bacteria. Next day tank was cloudy but I waited 24 hours and it cleared up. Everything tested at 0ppm. Added ammonia yesterday up to 3ppm but didn’t add the bacteria this time and today everything tested at 0 again. PH is about 6.6 and I have learned that our city has very soft water. I also conditioned water when I started as well to remove chlorine.

No water changes yet and tank has only been setup for 4 days. On the first day, I added ammonia and then Fritzyme 700 bacteria. Next day tank was cloudy but I waited 24 hours and it cleared up. Everything tested at 0ppm. Added ammonia yesterday up to 3ppm but didn’t add the bacteria this time and today everything tested at 0 again. PH is about 6.6 and I have learned that our city has very soft water. I also conditioned water when I started as well to remove chlorine.
Ah ok, I think I may know what happening. The fritzime stuff may have something in it to reduce nitrates. It also may be to early into the cycle to see nitrates... I'd give it a week or two more to really settle in. Thats when you may start seeing nitrates.

Oh ok that makes sense. Should I keep dosing with ammonia up to 3ppm every couple of days until I see nitrates? Thanks again for your help!

Oh ok that makes sense. Should I keep dosing with ammonia up to 3ppm every couple of days until I see nitrates? Thanks again for your help!
Yes, keep following the cycling instructions

Most reactions

Back