🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have to read up on tank cycling.
I've never really done it before.
I guess I've been lucky?
(Except for the green neons, although I'm not sure that was a cycling issue).

Corny music aside, please don't laugh, I just don't know where I am with my 20g cycle
I'm not daft, but for some reason,
(denial, impatience, worry?), I can't seem to grasp what's going on. I've read the post on cycling. I have an API Master Testing Kit.

Okay:

Ph 7.8 - 8.0
Ammonia .25 - .50
Nitrite .25 - .50
Nitrate. 40 - 80
GH 180 or 8 - 10
I don't know what KH is

I've been testing for ammonia, and since it hasn't reached 0 I have just been waiting and, knowing that it's not safe for fish, I have not been testing for other things.
Since I've been watching the ammonia it has gone down. The ammonia was at a solid .50 at first and is lowering.

I have a new filter with a new cartridge.
I have a breeder box...suction cup kind
...filled with cartridges and foam from up and running tanks. I have been saving this material for a while in a breeder box in a running tank, just waiting for future tanks.

I have a heater appropriate for a 20g.
I have some live plants
I put a small pinch of flake food every day for the last few days.

I lost my colour chart but had one printed and laminated. This is why I am unsure of some of the readings.

What now?
20200413_160520.jpg

I think I read somewhere about carbon.
I happen to have a couple replacement carbon sacks for my aquariums.
Every now and then I give a couple of my tanks new carbon. It's a treat. A tank treat.
Should I put one into the 20g ?

I am hoping to get some responses soon.
I have some plants in there but not too many. I hate to remove very much of my Anacharis and Hornwort because I believe it helps my fish feel safe.

I dont think adding the carbon would help but I could be wrong. How long have you been cycling it?

Carbon won't do anything for the cycle.

Remind me - fishless, fish-in or silent?

Fishless for sure.
I don't really know what silent cycling is.
I'll skip the carbon; I'm not even sure where I got that idea.

Fishless for sure.
I don't really know what silent cycling is.
I'll skip the carbon; I'm not even sure where I got that idea.
Silent cycle is the same as a fish less but with LOTS of live plants to help absorb the ammonia and nitrite

Silent cycle is the same as a fish less but with LOTS of live plants to help absorb the ammonia and nitrite
I do have some plants in there, Anacharis, a small amount of Hornwort. I could get a good amount from my other tanks, but not a bunch.

I don't really want to take too much out in case it would stress the fish out them out.

I do have loads of Pothos ivy though, I can add some to the existing tanks to keep plenty of hiding places.

Anacharis and hornwort are both good plants to use for a silent cycle. If you can let some of them float on the surface. That way there is a better exchange Co2/oxygen and they will grow a little faster and absorb more ammonia.

Anacharis and hornwort are both good plants to use for a silent cycle. If you can let some of them float on the surface. That way there is a better exchange Co2/oxygen and they will grow a little faster and absorb more ammonia.
Okay added some more Anacharis. Probably 2 feet all together. I can get some more, also. I'll have to search around in my tanks, I seem to be low on Hornwort...I think I have some untangling to do. Also, I'm now going to adjust my filter to where it agitates the surface.
Only while I'm home, the bubbling noise attracts one of my kitties and I don't want to entice her. She likes splashing water.
She is so cute. I swear if I had a new clean empty litter box full of water she would stand in it! And splash.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Cycling a tank takes time. But the end goal is to have a tank with 0.0 ammonia 0.0 nitrite and 0.0 nitrate. Once the beneficial bacteria colony is established you will typically see a spike in all these levels then it will eventually lower to 0.0 that is how you know your tank is cycled.

@vanalisa dont worry about it too much :) once you get nitrate and the ammonia and nitrite drop to 0 and stay that way you will be good to go!

Edit: I'm so grateful that I live in an area with water that I dont even have to cycle my tank, but I can still help those who do!

@vanalisa is your nitrate always that high? It seems like it should not be that high in an upcycled tank. Test a glass of plain tap water to see if it's coming from there

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back