Cycling or not?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fishielover

Reaction score
I posted this question a while ago and never got a good response. Anyway the question is this: I have been cycling my ten gal tank with a school of tiger barbs for a few weeks now. I have tested the H2O everyday and did 20% water changes when nesessary. My ammonia level is around 0.5-1.0, and i have never gotten a nitrite or nitrate reading. I have no plants in there, all is fake stuff. When will the ammonia go down? Is it possible i dont have any natural bacteria forming after 3-4 weeks? I know it takes a while to establish it totaly, but i would have assumed my levels would start to show some difference by now. What can i do? I thought i understood cycling (enough to give it a try) and now i am getting no where.

Thanks for any help. :sad: :dunno:

I just tested the ammonia and nitrate nitrite levels. Ammonia was about 1.0 so i did a h2o change. The nitrate square on the dip stick seemed to react a little some where around 10. The nitrite was still 0. After the h2o change the ammonia level is around .25 and .50. again the nitrite was 0 and nitrate was around 10. (the levels jump from 0-20 and it wasnt quite dark enough for a 20). Does this sound right? My fish look fine and all are eating and playing fine. I did add one plant to my tank,(this kinda intimidates me) but i did in hopes it would help bring the ammonia levels down(they do that right?)

Any other suggestions.

Has the water ever gone cloudy on you? That's the sign of a bacterial bloom, and that's when nitrite starts showing up. You either just have to wait it out, or if you can, swipe some gravel from an established tank to get it started. I just set up a new tank over the weekend with a few guppies in it, took some gravel and filter squeezings from my already established 55g, and came home from work today to cloudy water and my first nitrite readings.

As for products that you can add, the only thing people swear works is Bio Spira.... and you'll have a HARD time finding it in stores :( Just keep up your water changes and cheer when your water gets cloudy :)

As for that nitrate reading, you might want to test your tap water to see if it's giving nitrate readings. I know the Brits on the board complain about nitrate in their tapwater, but I've never seen it around here. Then again, I'm on well water. *shrug* OR... those strips are notoriously inaccurate. That could just be the issue.

Do you dechlorinate water before adding it to tank during water changes? Because chlorine can kill all of your beneficial bacteria in a second.

I do dechlorinate my water. The only time the water was cloudy was for about the first week or two of set up. I dont know anyone around me with an established tank, who i could swipe some gravel from. I did however get a plant from an established tank at a pretty decent fish store. Would that carry any bacteria that could help?
I just feel as though i should have seen SOMETHING happen by now.

oh well guess it is just a waiting game.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all your help.

Most reactions

Back