Cycling - Nitrate Off The Chart

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seanthebusdriver

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
As the title says;

I've just done a water test on the ninth day after adding ammonia, the results follow. My concern is that the Nitrate levels are strongly in evidence before the Nitrite levels have developed which appears to go against the Cycle your tank advice. Am I unduly concerned? I believe I should add dose 2 today unless advised otherwise.

Tank 100 uk gallons
Temp 27.5
Canister filter (Fluval x6)
Sand bed
Drift wood
water 50% tap (de-chlorinated) 50% RO
first 3 days added bio feed as per manufactures instructions

24/1/16

PH 7.5
KH 4
GH 9
NH3  0
NO2  0
NO3  10.0 mg/l
PO4  0.5mg/l

25/1/16

Added 10ml Ammonia
Test NH3  3mg/l

28/1/16

PH 7.5
KH 4
GH 9
NH3  2.0 mg/l
NO2  0.25 mg/l
NO3  15.0 mg/l
PO4 0.25 mg/l

31/1/16

NO2 Nitrite 0.0mg/l
NH3 Ammonia 2.0 mg/l
NO3 Nitrate 20.0 mg/l

2/2/16

NH3 Ammonia 0.75 mg/l

3/2/16

PH 7.5
KH 3
GH 7
NH3 0.0 mg/l
NO2 3.5 mg/l
NO3 100mg/l

Sorry it goes on a bit but I thought I would need to give a full picture.

It looks like you're reaching the end of your cycle.

Change 50% water and add ammonia, test again in 24 hours then 48 hours.  If NO3 is still high do another change.

check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You'd be surprised what's hiding in there

Seanthebusdriver said:
As the title says;

I've just done a water test on the ninth day after adding ammonia, the results follow. My concern is that the Nitrate levels are strongly in evidence before the Nitrite levels have developed which appears to go against the Cycle your tank advice. Am I unduly concerned? I believe I should add dose 2 today unless advised otherwise.

3/2/16

PH 7.5
KH 3
GH 7
NH3 0.0 mg/l
NO2 3.5 mg/l
NO3 100mg/l

Sorry it goes on a bit but I thought I would need to give a full picture.

I'd wait another day to add the next dose to give the nitrite a chance to drop some more.

Take all nitrate readings with a grain of salt.  

Keep an eye on the pH and kH.  If the kH drops, causing the pH to drop, you'll crash the cycle, but all looks good so far!  :good:

Thanks for the advice guys and girls. I'm going to add another dose of ammonia tomorrow (as suggested) and see how it goes. My tap water shows 0 for Nitrate and If I'm reading correctly the nitrate is best brought down with a water change and as its a fishless cycle that can wait a few days.

that's good that it's zero nitrate. It's not always the case. I think I read the other day that have a member in the U.K with Nitrates of 40 from the tap! That was why I suggested checking it. It's always worth knowing what's in our tap water if that's going to be the source for water changes :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back