Cycling Needed?

Floyds mum

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I might be getting a new tank soon (this weekend possibly) if i set up the new tank with old tank water and mature media into new filter, will i still need to cycle the tank?

If you set up with mature media, you should not need to cycle separately. When you do that, check the tank for a day or two just to make sure by using ammonia, just like it was a new cycle. It will either be instantly cycled or cycle so fast it will impress you. The old tank water does not make any difference but don't forget to dechlorinate.

If you set up with mature media, you should not need to cycle separately. When you do that, check the tank for a day or two just to make sure by using ammonia, just like it was a new cycle. It will either be instantly cycled or cycle so fast it will impress you. The old tank water does not make any difference but don't forget to dechlorinate.

Ok thanx im just asking cos i have fish id need to move over as none of the tanks i have would be big enough

If you are moving the same amount of fish from the old tank to the new tank then the mature media would be able to handle the bioload and you should be fine moving them straight across, just keeping an eye on the new tanks stats.

If you are going to be putting in more fish than the current mature media tank has then do as Oldman said and add ammonia.

Andy

Most reactions

Back