Cycling Method?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MoonStarRaven

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my introductory post I haven't had fish in almost a decade, and it seems a lot has changed, (and what hasn't changed I've forgotten lol). Tomorrow I'm picking up a used 56 gallon tank. I've been researching to refresh my memory on cycling the tank, way back when it was the add a few fish at a time and hope for the best.

I've been reading about the new method of fishless cycling and would prefer to do that, however from what I understand once the cycles complete you need to stock the tank to keep the established bacteria alive? So now I'm not sure which way to go...

Mainly because I really don't have the budget to purchase that many fish at once, (particularly since my daughter really wants those ridiculously expensive Glofish.)

I was also hoping to use this as a learning/reward system for my daughter. I want her to learn that getting a pet isn't an instant thing, that it takes time to get their home ready for them as well as the science behind the natural cycle of an aquarium, which the fishless cycle would be great for. However I was planning (according to the old method) to get the fish a few at a time as a kind of reward/ patience deal. If she (helps) take care of the fish and aquarium, does research with me on the fish she wants to get and their care and schooling numbers etcetera and generally behaves, she earns a trip to the pet store every week or so to pick out a few fish and hopefully learns about responsible stocking and fish care along the way.

Ultimately I want to do what is best for the fish, I guess what I'm asking is if there is some in between method of starting with the fishless cycle to get the tank going to the point where its safe and healthier for the fish to be added a few at a time?
blush.png

The simple answer is that once you have completed the cycle, you can  stock as you please, up to your maximum - so if you want to just put a couple of fish in, that's fine. You will have some "surplus" bacteria, that will go dormant. As you increase the stocking, you should  find that the bacteria will increase within 24 hours to accommodate the increased ammonia production. Just make sure that you don't add more than 50% to the bioload in one go.

I know this is off topic, but is there any way you can steer your daughter away from Glofish?

They're created by scientists, genetically modified, sterile and banned in a lot of places : http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/GloFish

I personally don't feel that is an industry we should be supporting.

I agree with Far_King about the glofish. There are many types of naturally colorful fish on the market that aren't made to suffer by dye injections and mishandling.
   From what I understand from my scientist wife, bacteria rarely just dies unless an environment is made hostile to it; it only goes dormant. Thus, once you have a bacteria culture established - as the_lock_man said - it should grow to accommodate fish waste and by-products as you stock your tank. Of course, nothing seems to ever work as it should.

MoonStarRaven said:
Ultimately I want to do what is best for the fish, I guess what I'm asking is if there is some in between method of starting with the fishless cycle to get the tank going to the point where its safe and healthier for the fish to be added a few at a time?
blush.png

The answer is a bit simpler than you might have imagined...

If you are going to be sparsely stocking the tank, you wouldn't need to build up as robust a bacterial colony... meaning a colony that can handle 3ppm.  Instead, you would have to aim for a level closer to 1ppm or 2ppm.  I'd suggest just building to the 2ppm level, to be on the safe side.

Follow the directions exactly as prescribed, but modify it so that the 'full dose' is at the 2ppm level rather than the 3ppm.  This will take a bit less time than the 'standard' cycle, which is an extra benefit.

Thanks for the reply's, the cycling tutorials I read made it sound like (or more likely I misunderstood) that if you didn't stock the tank right away all the bacteria would die. Good to know they'll go dormant. I think I'll try to shoot for the 2ppm level as suggested. :) I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when I actually start the cycling process. I just got the used tank and it needs a major cleaning before its to the point of starting the cycle.

As for the Glofish, I agree. They're not something I'd choose as I prefer the natural looking fish as well. However my daughter is only 7 and really into the whole princes and unicorns phase and the glofish really have that fantasy type look to them. I've done research into them and well I don't like that they are genetically modified, at least they are now born that color and not injected. (Like the mixed fruit tetra's at Walmart, I told her under no circumstances would we be getting those as they are injected, and I was able to successfully explain to her that the fish were hurt to be made that color. Genetically modified went right over her head.
rolleyes.gif
 Anyway well I personally don't like the glofish, she is very excited for them and I'm afraid if I outright say no to them it will dampen her enthusiasm for the Aquarium.   

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back