Cycling Issues

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I accidentally restarted the cycle in my tank about two weeks ago when I changed the filter pad (I only change filter pads every three or four months or so) and I didn't take enough of the old media off the old pad to jump start the bacteria for the new filter pad.
So I'm basically doing a fish in cycle :/
Because I restarted the cycle (And didn't realize it for about a week) my platys developed ick. I raised the temperature in the tank.... and the bottom plastic part of the heater melted in the water! (I'm assuming this is what killed two of my Panda cory's as I had just done a water change a few hours before so the water was pretty clean) Luckily it's a new heater and I have the receipt, I'm getting my 30$ back! (My old heater still works, it's just has really bad hard water stains and isn't a very pretty sight)

Anyways this all happened in my 30 gal tank.

I HAD 5 barbs in my 20 gal tank that I rehomed yesterday because they'll get to big for said tank and my Gourami in the 30 gal hated them when I tried to introduce them.

So I have a fully cycled 20 gal available.
Should I move at least my platy's over to my 20 and treat their Ick? And leave my Pearl Gourami, my BNP and my four remaining Panda Cory's in the 30 gal and use them for a fish in cycle? (I don't have any ammonia to do a fishless cycle.)

I'm thinking that would be the best way, that way the Platy's would have a clean, stable tank to recover in at least (I was planning on moving them over anyways)
I just wanted to run it by the forum in case I'm over looking something.

Am happy to be corrected, but I believe that the platys will cope with fish in cycle much better than the other fish.

Can you transfer most media over from the 20G to the 30G for the gourami etc and leave some media in the 20G for the platys?

M

Good idea :) I'll pick up some new filter cartridges for the 20 gal and return my crappy heater :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back