Cycling goldfish

Crookster

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, there!

I am thinking of buying a small coldwater tank for a couple of goldfish. I plan to put a box filter in it, and was wondering if you had to cycle the tank b4 adding the fish like you would a tropical tank. If so should I put a heater in it whilst cycling to promote bacterial growth?

I've never kept coldwater fish b4, so I'm in the dark here.

Coldwater fish are the same as all others, they are prone to the same things that effect tropical fish when a tank isn't cycled so yes it is best to do so. :)

When you say a "small" tank, how small do you mean? Goldfish need a lot of room as they are big, messy fish. I don't believe that common/comet/subunkin goldfish should be kept in a tank at all.

You'd need a 30gallon tank for 2 goldfish. 20galls for the first one and 10galls for each fish after that.

And, yes you would need to cycle the tank, taking media from an established filter is always a good idea but there still may be problems if the goldfish produce more waste than what the bacteria is capable for.

Your in the pond forum

Small systems are harder to maintain contant conditions inside of

They are harder on the fish (If a fish poos in a pond he has plenty of water to dilute it but if 3 goldfish poo in a 2 gallon walmart tank there noses are rubed in it)

when people say "Oh I just want a small tank" It usually means (not neccisarilly with you of coarse) that they are going to cram 3 twelve inch fish (thats how big goldfish get) into an 8"X10" cell from the mart of wal

The forum heading says ''coldwater fish and ponds''.

I was under the impression that you can get small goldfish. Fantails is it? I'm not sure, as I say I have only had tropical experience.

Oh and the ''what's that supposed to mean'' wasn't meant to sound nasty, although I know it did a bit. sorry. :D

How big is your tank?

Fantails do grow smaller than Commons and Comets but they can still reach 8" and need to be housed accordingly. :)

If you aren't angry at me now then it's peachy. Fancy goldfish are acctualy Bigger than normal goldfish when you consider volume and mass as for length they grow to be 10" long which is not a small fish in my book. If you want a small fish look for rosey reds, other minnows, or there is a great little fish that ryan is dyeing to tell you all about called a bitterling, Oh and there are some loaches that can handle cooler water CS can tell you about them. Coldwater fish tend to be less colorful and that makes people want them less and thats why there is so little variety. But cold water fish can be ver rewarding especialy if you have a pond.

I haven't bought a tank yet. Doing research first.

I was only thinking of a 2-3 gallon tank, I don't really have room for anything bigger. I'll soon be getting my 4th trop tank and they take up all my room.

The coldwater tank was just going to be for the kitchen. Are there any goldfish like fish I could house in just a few gallons?

From previous post;

Bitterling are a wonderful fish. :) There are a few species, but the two most commonly seen are Rhodeus sericeus and Rhodeus ocellatus. They are a small relative of the carp. They grow between 2-4" and are peaceful fish for a coldwater tank providing some extra colour. But they are best known for their remarkable breeding relationship with the swan mussel. At spawning time the female bitterling lays a few eggs in the breathing hole of each mussel. The male follows and sprays milt over the same places. The mussel's breathing ensures that the eggs are fertalised and get plenty of oxygen during the next three to four weeks. When the young Bitterlings come to leave their adopted parent, they are fully equipped to swim. These fish are easy to feed, in breeding season the males will turn wonderfully colourful, providing the temperature rises to around 22C stimulating the start of breeding.

As for Hillstream Loaches they require fast well oxygenated water, the tank must be established before adding them alloing their main foods (micro organisms) to develop on provided flat surfaces like rocks and broad leaves. :)

Crookster said:
I haven't bought a tank yet. Doing research first.

I was only thinking of a 2-3 gallon tank, I don't really have room for anything bigger. I'll soon be getting my 4th trop tank and they take up all my room.

The coldwater tank was just going to be for the kitchen. Are there any goldfish like fish I could house in just a few gallons?
2-3 gallons is very small and far far to small for Goldfish. Try some Minnows like the Golden Minnows or White Cloud Moutain Minnows or maybe even Zebra Danios. :)

This is going to sound really stupid, but I'll say it anyway '' what about those fish I used to get from the fair when I was a kid?''. They were little and lived in a coldwater bowl.

Those were BABY goldfish. Unfortunaly goldfish either grow up or die a horrible and painful prolonged death from stunting. Mosquitoe fish might work for such a small tank but WCMM's and Zebra Danios need large areas to swim in there wise they cant exercise properly, kinof like keeping a race horse in the liveing room sure it fits fine but it cant run like it wants to. 10 gallons minimum for one of those torpedo shaped fish and 20 long is vastly superior. A sticklebac or two might work you could get a male and a female three spine (threespine agression is triggered by the color of a rival male not the shape) then put some peat moss on the floor of the tank. they could theoreticaly breed.

Opcn

Thats the sad thing, we see so so many goldfish in little bowls when young and people wonder why they only live for 2-4 years, but they can live for 20+ in the right conditions. :)

Most reactions

Back