CYCLING COMPLETE

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

happyadd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, After 28-days, it looks as though my tank has cycled.

From having a Nitrite reading a 4.00 3 days ago I tested last night and It was reading 0.00

My ammonia was 0.40, as I am not adding fish until the weekend I added like 2ml of ammonia just to stop all my hard work from being lost.

One question though. I had a bit of an algae problem. So yesterday, after advice, I removed my infected bogwood, and boiled and scrubbed it!

Now I was worried that I may be removing benifical bacteria as well as the algae, but as I had no fish in the tank to eat the algae and I dont like adding chemicals I decided this was the best option. I suspect most of my benefical bacteria is in the filter and substrate anyways.

After I returned the bogwood to the tank and reattached the plants, I left it a couple of hours and tested and got the results I've explained. Also, my nitrate yesterday was 75ppm, which suggests that the nitrite has been turned into nitrate, instead of being removed with the bogwood.

Now where do I go from here. I am gona do a 50% change tonight and test again on Friday before I get fishies on Saturday.

Also, as my tank has cycled, does that mean I can plop a pair of Rams in straight away..I hope so their gorgeous!

Any advice is warmly welcomed and thanks for all the help I've had in stating my tank, this forum is much better than any LFS. (one of my local ones didn't know what a fishless cycle was and just said "Throw some "Cycle" in that'll do the trick") what a cock!

Congrats - looks like you're there :) Do your water change and go get your rams. Keep us informed as to your progress.

I'm guessing you mean german blue rams?
I would advise against it for now because they are very sensitive to water paramaters.

I would wait a few months if I were you to let the water stabilize in your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back