Cycling A Heavily Planted Tank

CherryDanio

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi to all you plant experts. Some of you may have read my cycle diary in the newbie bit, long story short I am currently doing 2 fishless cycles. One of these is a heavily planted tank which is to be dedicated to dwarf puffers. I thought I would be more likely to get an answer hear about this tank.

I have never had live plants in a tank before so you will have to excuse my ignorance. I started the dwarf puffer ank about 6 days ago. Already the ammonia has dropped and I have traces of nitrite! The other tank has been going for 8 days and nothing has happened. Is this because of the plants? My oh is adamant that he has read you do not need to cycle a planted tank, is this true? I have read conflicting advice online, some say you should cycle as normal whilst others say it is totally not needed.

The tank has java fern and moss and a few other bits and bobs which appear to be thriving (initially we were sold some non aquatic plants but these have been removed). I added 4ppm initially and now on day 6 the ammonia is 1ppm and nitrites are between 0-0.25 ppm (it's not the same colour as 0.25 on the chart for the api kit but it's definatly not a negative). Help and advice please!!

Cycling with plants should go quicker, but you treat it the same but you need to be careful with the ammonia source as too much would trigger algae.

When I was cycling my nano (14ltr) and as I had ADA AquaSoil lecching ammonia to cycle the filter, I just made sure that ammonia was as low as possible each day but also leaving enough in there to cycle the filter. I was doing 50% each day but that's mainly due to using the AquaSoil.

My nano cycled within 2-3 weeks.

I would say that cycling with plants is more important due to the algae being in the background thoughts all the time.

My oh is adamant that he has read you do not need to cycle a planted tank, is this true? I have read conflicting advice online, some say you should cycle as normal whilst others say it is totally not needed.

Your OH is correct. You shouldn`t FC a planted tank. FC should be carried out in the dark IMO.

If you have light and ammonia together, you are seriously inviting algae in to your planted tank. Look for some nice plant growth, then you can start to add fish. Do not add ammonia.

If you visit any serious planted tank forums, you will see precious little FC going on, and those that are doing it will be advised not to.

Read the stickies, and concentrate on getting that healthy plant growth. this will allow you to add fish early on, if you wish.

Dave.

Since you are already doing a fishless cycle keep doing it. With a heavy planted tank you can do what they call a silent cycle. This is when you add 2 or 3 fish with lots of plants. The plants will keeps any ammonia spikes from hurting your fish.

With a planted tank your ammonia will get used by the plants as well as the bactira. So if your ammonia is oddly low for being so early in the cycle that means your plants are useing it. I would add a pintch bit more of ammoina if you levels are low and no trace of nitrites and more.

So keep adding a bit of ammonia. I'm cycling my tank with only a few plants at the moment. My nitrites are way up and my ammonia is 0 so I need to keep feeding the tank just a teaspoon or ammoina a day.

I would keep doing it fishless. I just wouldn't want to have that risk of harming the fish as the tank cycled.

People need to do a little more research. lol Dave has my total agreement.

The OP says 'heavily' planted therefore (if it is actually heavily planted) then you will add ammonia and guess what.

The plants take it all. No cycling happens!!! Wasted money.

When I set up a new tank there is no cycling and no pondering. All the fish go straight back in!!!

This does assume that the OPs impression of heavily planted is the same as an experienced planted.

If there are any concerns you will be better off doing more water changes daily for a week than adding anything into the tank.

AC

I must admit, I'm stuck in the middle here. Dave and Andy's theories are spot on, but I would be concerned at just throwing fish into the tank and assuming the plants will take care of it.

This is for two reasons:-

1) The success of the 'Silent Cycle' depends upon the person's ability to grow healthy plants. If the plants stop growing, the fish die.

2) Plants tend to avoid nitrite. Now assuming the plants don't use all the ammonia and some gets to the filter (which would inevitably happen), some nitrite will be produced. Again this can quite easily kill the fish. The volume of nitrite being produced would obviously depend on several factors including the amount of ammonia being added, the density of the planting, the health of the plants etc etc.

I would recommend that the best way is to fishless cycle first and then add the plants, or at the very least carry out daily tests for ammonia and nitrite whilst undertaking the 'Silent Cycle'. Just planting the tank and putting the fish in leaves too much to chance for me.

Obviously the more green-fingered amongst us would be better placed to carry out a silent cycle successfully (ie. Dave and Andy), but it may not be something I would recommend for a plant / fish novice.

Just my tuppence worth.

BTT

The success of the 'Silent Cycle' depends upon the person's ability to grow healthy plants. If the plants stop growing, the fish die.

that is a down side, but it isnt hard as long as you have all the boxes ticked. CO2, light, Nutrients, Flow.
2) Plants tend to avoid nitrite. Now assuming the plants don't use all the ammonia and some gets to the filter (which would inevitably happen), some nitrite will be produced. Again this can quite easily kill the fish. The volume of nitrite being produced would obviously depend on several factors including the amount of ammonia being added, the density of the planting, the health of the plants etc etc.

Some plants do use nitrite, but to stop this occuring, you should add some "weeds" such as hygrophillia and egeria, even if you just float them. And going back to the above point, it is almost impossible not to grow these 2 species!

Totally agree BTT.
Your reasons are exactly why IMO it would be best just to carry on with a fishless cycle.
The OP has already said that their fishless cycle is going along just fine, so it would be best to just continue with it. As they said, they're a beginner w/ plants so as the tank is still cycling, now would be a good time to do more research, learn about taking care of the plants, fish, etc etc.

I must admit, I'm stuck in the middle here. Dave and Andy's theories are spot on, but I would be concerned at just throwing fish into the tank and assuming the plants will take care of it.

Now, now...you know that wasn`t suggested. :D

I appreciate what you are saying BTT, but keeping planted tanks isn`t alchemy. It is very easy, and that is the truth. My first tank was planted, and a small group of Otos and Cardinals were added after a week.

There was thread on the fishless cycle on TFF where the OP was cycling a planted tank in excess of 100 days. After a quick chat on the Barr Report he had fish in there no problem. How he stuck with this hobby, I will never know. :lol: He could have had fish after the first week.

As they said, they're a beginner w/ plants so as the tank is still cycling, now would be a good time to do more research, learn about taking care of the plants, fish, etc etc.

Starting with:

Don`t cycle with plants. They won`t appreciate the algae potential of light and ammonia.

Building up a bacteria colony capable of processing 5ppm over 24 hours is a complete waste of time, as the plants will start to starve out this large colony until it finds its own, smaller niche.

If you can, use mulm from the substrate of another planted tank if possible. This will transfer over a sizeable bacteria colony, along with their nutrients.

You can start to add fish once healthy growth is established.

Zeolite is your friend.

Dave.

Now, now...you know that wasn`t suggested. :D

I appreciate what you are saying BTT, but keeping planted tanks isn`t alchemy. It is very easy, and that is the truth. My first tank was planted, and a small group of Otos and Cardinals were added after a week.

There was thread on the fishless cycle on TFF where the OP was cycling a planted tank in excess of 100 days. After a quick chat on the Barr Report he had fish in there no problem. How he stuck with this hobby, I will never know. :lol: He could have had fish after the first week.

As they said, they're a beginner w/ plants so as the tank is still cycling, now would be a good time to do more research, learn about taking care of the plants, fish, etc etc.

Starting with:

Don`t cycle with plants. They won`t appreciate the algae potential of light and ammonia.

Building up a bacteria colony capable of processing 5ppm over 24 hours is a complete waste of time, as the plants will start to starve out this large colony until it finds its own, smaller niche.

If you can, use mulm from the substrate of another planted tank if possible. This will transfer over a sizeable bacteria colony, along with their nutrients.

You can start to add fish once healthy growth is established.

Zeolite is your friend.

Dave.

See.. research like I said!.... :shifty: :hey: :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back