Cycling A Cold Water Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Francesjane

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I apologise if I am asking a question that has already been discussed somewhere on the forums, but working on my computer at work it really does limit my searches...

Question is...to eventually run a cold water tank, does the cycling process need to be done with heat or can it cycle just as well with all cold water?

The bacteria grow better at higher temperatures, so it may be better to cycle the filter at 82F, then when complete, remove the heater and allow the temperature to gradually fall back to the required temperature, whilst "snacking" the bacteria with ammonia.

Either way should work. But you do not have to try for the optimal temp for bacterial reproduction in an attempt to shave a couple of days off the cycle.

If you are going to try raising it to cycle and then drop it, I would suggest to be safe you do the following. Once you know you are cycled at the higher temp., do the big water change with cooler water and get the tank down to the intended temp. Then add your full dose of ammonia one more time to insure the tank still processes it through to nitrate in under 24 hours. That way you will know you can add all the fish for certain.

Most reactions

Back