cycling 20 gallon tank with 2 angelfish

Hi In Denial....take it slow. Tanks take time to cycle. They can cycle in 1-2 weeks or even 6-8. Resist the urge to start buying cool fish. Sounds like you want to cycle your tank with fish. Many recommend doing a fishless cycle which is pinned here (permanently posted). It's a lot more work but not impossible. If you do a cycle with fish, start with some 'toughies' or very hardy fish. You can search this out here. Some recommend zebra danios others say no. I have two gorgeous angels and they are only for cycled tanks with good water conditions. They can be sensitive, like many fish, to ammonia and nitrite.
As for the additives, they may help, but, I'd take the slow route if you are going with a fish cycle. Adding stuff will probably contribute to clouding up your tank which may happen anyway. When you get started, check your parameters daily and when you are cycled, you can do it once a week, ie, invest in a good water test kit. There is lots of help here. Good luck. SH

Hi in_denial

Guppies are usually good fish to cycle with, and so are gouramis. Remember, however, that if you do the cycling correctly, the fish will survive and remain healthy, so don't use fish that you would not want to keep for some time in the future.

What kind of fish did you plan on having when all this cycling is finished? Perhaps you could start with some of them. :unsure:

BTW, if you add your location to your profile it will help us recommend products that are available in your area. :D

SuperPetz had a special (5 fish for $5). Last Friday, I picked up 3 platys and two blue gouramis. They have a 14 day buy back guarantee. 1 of the gouramis died the following day. This morning I found one of the platys at the bottom of the tank. It was missing all of it's fins and tail. It looks like the gourami might have eaten it. Is this common? Also, I just noticed that the surviving gourami is completely covered in white spots (ick). Can ick form in one day? I looked over the fish carefully before I put them in the tank. I did not see the ick before. Now you can't miss it.

I have the two fish that died in the freezer. I plan on returning them this weekend. I have a feeling that the other ones will follow shortly.

Since I didn't have any ick medicine, I gave the gourami a salt bath. I used 1/2 gallon of tank water and 2 oz of Kosher salt. I kept him in there for about a 1/2 hour then released him back to the tank. He seemed to be great. My wife called me at work this morning and said he is missing. I asked her to to check around the tank to see if he jumped out. She can not find him. I am wondering if he was eaten by the same fish or fishes that ate the fins off off of my platy? If he is truly missing, that only leaves me with two platys. Should I be concerned that one of the two remaining platys are eating other fish? I am really pissed off now.

Most reactions

Back