Cycled tank

Mosmoove

Reaction score
It's going on 4 months and my tank is still not cycled. It's a 55 gallon tank with 4 peacock cichlids, penguin 350 filter and one of the petsmart filter the topfin brand for 55 gallon, and also a wave maker. I used the api quick start just one time the first day I got the tank. How can I get my tank cycled? Thanks in advance

What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? How often are you doing water changes, and what water conditioner do you use? Is the tank planted?

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all reading zero. Haven't done a water change yet cause I heard to only do it if Ammonia was high. I use prime, and api quick start. No plants

That is odd. What test kit are you using? The fish should be producing ammonia, and it can be read on the API master test kit while prime detoxifies it. If no water changes have been done and no live plants are present there should be something measurable in the water after 4 months.

API master test kit. Could it be that the 4 cichlids i have might not be enough for the 55 gallon tank to produce enough ammonia. The cichlids are small.

Perhaps. Maybe someone else that knows the science a bit more in depth would be able to figure it out. I cycled my first 29 gallon with just a betta, so the small number of fish shouldn't be a problem.

Will seachem stability work, u think?
I have used it in the past. You could do a big water change, use your prime, then add the stability. I would also maybe take a sample of your water to your lfs, in case your test kit was a dud. I know they do expire after a few years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back