Cycle Journal Part 2

Nitrite is at 0! PARTAY! Seriously, I am so happy
w00t.gif

When I got my first 0 on ammonia, I got one every day after that. Is that likely to be the case with the nitrite also?

I've done another half dose of ammonia tonight, and will see how it goes before I go back up to full doses as I think that's where I went wrong last time.

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :drink:

Nitrite was at 2ppm this morning, so will probably be at 0 by this evening.

Reluctant to go back up to full dosage so soon, but I may do a three quarter dose if nitrite is at zero tonight.

Right, I have a plan of action.

I've just tested nitrite and it's at 0 again (woohoo!). Now, there's still two and a half hours to go til my official test time. However, I'm going to take advantage of the clocks going back and test an hour earlier at 7.15, as that'll be 24 hours after than my last evening test. Then I'll do a full dose and test at the normal time tomorrow at 8.15, which will then be 25 hours afterwards. I'll see how that goes.

When I got my 0 yesterday, the nitrite was still at 1ppm the night before when I redosed so I know that my filter can handle more than a half dose.

Okay, I've doubled my dose of ammonia up to 1.5ml, though I tested it 5 minutes after adding and it wasn't quite 4ppm, it was somewhere between 2 and 4ppm. Gonna stick with that dosage for the moment though and up it a teeny bit when it's processing.

Some pleasing morning results, though I was late in testing as I overslept. Ammonia is at 0ppm, nitrite 5ppm, but I'm hoping most if not all of that will be gone by this evening. It's actually dealt with the "double" dose much better than I was expecting.

I'm hoping to have fish by the end of next week, but I don't wanna set myself up for disappointment!

Journal has been updated now.

Looking good cessa :good: that 'disney blue' NitrIte colour is a fantastic thing to see !

Are you still adding the Bicarb of Soda ? I only ask because of our similiar water conditions... because right in the middle of my Qualifing Week i had a complete outburst of a white powder. First i thought it was bacterial but that was quickly ruled out. It looked liked someone had poured half a pint of milk into my tank. It was pointed out to me that it was very probable that a build-up of undissolved bicarb soda released into my tank. I was having to add half a tablespoon into my 30L tank.. so if you're adding nowhere near that much then ignore my point, but if you find you are having to add similiar amounts then maybe be aware of this and the fact it may happen ? :good:
I was then advised to start using crushed coral, a particular one of which i will find online shortly and include in a link for you.

Regards,
Terry.

I disliked the colour purple before, but I really hate it now lol!

Yeah, I'm still adding bicarb. I kind of have my own terminology. If you look in my log, a small amount is probably just under a third of a teaspoon, and a tiny amount is about half that amount. I wish I had some tiny spoons to be more scientific but there you go! There were some going in the classified section the other day but I've spent enough money already and I'll probably be done cycling by the time they get here anyway. When I add bicarb to my tank I do try and put it close to the flow of the filter so that it can mix in. Since getting my new Fluval I've noticed alot less bicarb sinking to the bottom.

I have been considering adding crushed something or other to my filter. I've got a GH/KH testing kit on it's way to me and should be here any day, so I can know what I'm dealing with before I take any action.

:good: much more like the amount i should have been adding !
I used to mix it in with the water going in during a water change, are you adding it directly to the tank itself and do you find it makes a difference?

http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/caribsea-aragalive-live-florida-crushed-coral-20lb-9072g-p-3843.html?osCsid=9v6u4jh2geo6d29gn2e2v3lgh0

The link shows the product i bought. I still have half a bag left over from putting some in both my tanks and their respective filters.
I'll keep an eye on the topic again and wait to see your water hardness results :good:

Terry.

GH/KH testing kit has arrived so I can test tonight :)

My PH dropped again too..on Tank 2..was 6.8 this morning grrrr...Nitrites STILL 5+ppm its getting boring now!!!
I too HATE the colour purple, lilac, plum...etc :angry:

My pH was lower this morning too. Got my testing kit now so I can actually monitor the hardness and try to maintain a certain level.

Going to the LFS either tomorrow or the day after and will buy either some crushed shells or some shells to crush myself. I dont wanna raise my hardness too much, but I need to be able to maintain a stable pH which it's just not doing right now.

If you ever need to add powders to a tank your best bet is fill the water bucket add the full tank does to bucket stir well and add the water to the tank wee ensure a good diulte :good:

My bacteria are making an easy meal of the full doses. Just a case of waiting for them to do it faster now.
good.gif

Most reactions

Back