Cycle Diary... Finished @ Day 127!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

A fellow fishless cycler, "degsod", while not having racked up as many days as -you-, was waiting in frustration for this final "sticking" behavior prior to the full drop in 12 hours and finally today seems to have got it. It just all of a sudden one day does it! The bacteria are reproducing at a high rate and one day they need 15 hours and the next they can "suddenly" do it in less than 12. I just don't see anything wrong with your fishless, it -will- happen and it should be soon! Hang in there!

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks Wd, i'll hold out for the end then! At least i'm on the finishing straight now!

I have the whole of next week off, I was hoping to be able to go and get my fish! I'm crossing my fingers!

Cheers

Man! I'm sooo impress by you commitment to the cycle! I know I woun't have been able to last that long or put up with the pressure from others to get the fishies in! :fish:

Cheers Bob, well I explained to everybody before I got the tank how I was going to do this and it could be a long time before we got any fish in there! She has been quite understanding really!

Although one of the most amusing things is when I tell people that come round that I now have fish, but they are a really rare small fish called "transparent tetra"...

Its amazing how long they spend looking into a tank of water before I end up laughing too much and giving the game away! :)

Well I have just done another big update, upto Day 86 now! Sorry I havent updated in a while I have just had a big eye operation and im still recovering now! I have another week off so I was hoping I could maybe get the fish next week as I would have lots of time on my hands!

I did have an all zero day on day 84 but then the day after it came back with a cheeky 0.25 of Nitrite!

I must be so close now!

Cheers

Yes, your clear data (that way of displaying is so good!) makes it pretty obvious the direction things are going! Is the 3ml giving you about 5ppm I hope? You should be there any day.

~~waterdrop~~

Wow, martinking! I've read your thread with a mix of excited anticipation, frustration at the water and admiration for you. I'm well impressed! Its like a novel :lol: :lol: I've literally just got my tank (a birthday present for Thursday :cake: ) and I only did my first water test yesterday. I really hope I dont have to wait as long as you have, I'd go bonkers! :blink:

You've been so patient I really hope you get the bestest tank full of wonderful, long lasting, healthy feeesh. :fish: :fish:

fingers crossed for you that you get it soon!!

Best wishes

Maz

Thanks Maz, its nice to hear that ive kept you entertained! :)

I honestly hope your cycle goes quicker than mine has too! So what tank did you get? Any idea what you would like to put in it?

and thanks WD, im glad you like my stats layout, I want to make it as easy as possible for you guys!

In answer to your question 3ml seems to be giving me between 4 and 5 ppm of ammonia.

On another over the past few weeks I have been adding liquid carbon and liquid fertiliser to help my plants. Would this have made any difference to my levels?

Cheers

The ferts should make no difference to the cycle except to help the plants. Some of the ferts will be in the form of nitrate and so might push upward on that figure but on the other hand the better growing plants might consume some of the nitrate, as well as some of the ammonia, so its pretty unpredictable what sort of effect you might see, maybe a wash on the nitrate figure. Should be no problem for watching whether your ammonia and nitrite drop to zeros in 12 hours, which is the main thing.

~~waterdrop~~

Hiya All...

Thanks WD for the fertiliser update, im still putting in the fertiliser and the carbon dioxide, the plants are looking great and they're growing really well.

Ive just updated days 86 to 92, nothing has changed at all really!

Ive just started putting 4ml of Ammonia in instead of 3ml because my ammonia only seems to have been getting upto 4ppm.

Anyway I seriously hope the end is near! :)

Thanks Maz, its nice to hear that ive kept you entertained! :)

I honestly hope your cycle goes quicker than mine has too! So what tank did you get? Any idea what you would like to put in it?

Hi, I got a Fluval Roma 125. It was a good price with the cabinet, heater and filter set up. One of the lights was broken so they swapped if for a moonlight blue striplight. Its beautiful. If I can find the cable thing for my camera I'll post a couple of pictures at some point. My plant/ornament set up is probably nothing that anyone would consider original but I really love it. I have a Buddha head, a fake tree trunk and some fake plants. Its very serene and peaceful looking. I am thinking about what fish to go in it and have started a thread ('Thinking bout little fishies'), so if you've got any ideas please feel free to chip in. :fun:

Maz

Yeah I might pop over and take a look! Ive got the Fluval Roma 90, I think they are nice setups to be honest. I like the cabs too!

Cheers

Hiya All,

Ok on Day 93 I started dosing 4ml Ammonia and ever since that my nitrite levels have jumped up a bit.

So I had a thought... ok bear with me... I started thinking that my bacterial filtration seems to be "stuck" and does not seem to be able to progress at all. So tonight I opened up my filter for a quick look and I took out an old water polishing pad that had gotten VERY dirty and replaced it with a fresh one. I also noticed that in the 3 layers of trays I had BioMax on the bottom and then an old sponge filter from my old filter (this was to help seed my new filter) and then the old water polishing pad.

So now I have BioMax on the bottom 2 trays so there is a greater surface area for the bacteria to grow, I have put the seeded sponges on top of the 2nd layer of BioMax, to help transfer the bacteria. Then a new Water polishing pad on top...

I seem to have gone on a bit now, apologies if anybody is still reading this! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back