Cycle At A Standstill

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RyanTheFishGuy64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So my tank has been up for 4 weeks now, I added the amount of ammonia suggested for what Im housing. I added a heater too, to increase the speed. Nothing happened to the parameters at all during those 3 weeks. Last week I added Tetra Safe Start (equivalent to Dr. Tims). Ammonia went down from 3ppm, to .5 ppm in 4 days. Now its been 7 days and the .5 hasn't changed at all. I have never noticed NitrItes this whole cycle, is this a problem? Any other info is helpful. Thanks.

Current parameters:

NitrAte: 10ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
Ammonia: .5ppm

When adding the bottled stuff, the cycle changes.  It looks fine to me, honestly.  I'd suggest you put the ammonia back up to 2ppm, and see what happens after 24 hours.  According to the rules we have, if the ammonia dips below 0.5 and the nitrite is below 2ppm, you can redose ammonia.  You want to keep the total nitrite below a level that will cause a stall, but it seems to me that's not an issue for you.

Also, what is your pH and kH?

Ok.  Keep going.  Add some ammonia to bump it to 2.0 ppm, and log the results each day.  Post them here and we can advise as it continues.

Will also advise best to use a liquid test kit, as I know from chatroom that you use strip dip kit.

Liquid test kit will help with better accuracy and more reliable readings.

Am aware you knew this, but this information may help others who are reading this ;)

Get the temperature up to 29-30°C and make sure the tank is well aerated as the warmer the tank is the less oxygen there is dissolved in the water - the nitrifying bacteria multiply better with a good supply of O2 and decent warmth.

Good to know that the fish also don't like light.
If you can cover the filter to prevent light from entering.. you can make things much much faster.

!_!_! means 'bacteria' don't like light.  Fish don't care that much either way.

eaglesaquarium said:
!_!_! means 'bacteria' don't like light.  Fish don't care that much either way.
Well I didn't know that one!!! (bacterially-speaking)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back