Cyanobacteria In Betta Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon betta tank with one male betta and 3 horned nerite snails. I have quite a growing of crypt wendtii (about a quarter of the tank), 2 anubias Nana's, and dwarf sag. I also had corkscrew val in here but this stuff practically killed it so I took it out the last of those and put it in another tank. Anyway, everything is just getting covered. This stuff is also in the tubing going to and from my mini canister filter.

Also, before this came along I got a bunch of hair algae but it went away when this started showing up. When i set the tank up I also put 5 flourish root tabs in...which may have caused part of this problem. This tank has been set up since December last year. Here is the info and I do have some pictures.

Stats
Ph- 8.2
Ammonia- 0-0.25(closer to zero)
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 4
Kh-9
Gh-14
Temp is around 80 degrees.

Lighting is a Finnex Stingray 16 inch light. It has
20 white 7000k leds
4 red 620nm leds
4 actinic blue leds

timer on
8am to 1pm then off until 5pm to 9pm for the second part of light, then off until 8am.

Here are some pictures

IMG_20160528_111210.jpg

IMG_20160528_111107.jpg

IMG_20160528_111215.jpg

IMG_20160528_111224.jpg

IMG_20160528_111246.jpg

IMG_20160528_111252.jpg

IMG_20160528_111258.jpg

Forgot to get a picture of the tubing. And Aidan says hi! Lol. Not a camera shy fish that's for sure. Lol. Anyway, I've read that hydrogen peroxide can kill this stuff? Is this true and is it safe? Any other ideas about what I can do? Oh, and I hadn't been very good on water changes either. I'm going to bump those up to i think about two a week at 50% probably. Though I don't know if this will help anything or not! I just don't want my plants to die. The crypts and anubias are hanging in there but the dwarf sag is covered. Any help is appreciated! If you need any other info please ask!

Thanks Munroco!! I'll give that a shot! Just curious....did your outbreak of this stuff smell bad? I've been reading that it does but either my nose is broken...lol...or mine just doesn't smell. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to it. Also, would you recommend adding the airstone? Should I also change the direction the spray bar for more aeration? He's a plakat so no long fins to worry about but I don't want to stress him just the same. And did you lower the amount your lights were on? Sorry for so many questions!! One more...will this be easy to dose a small 5.5 gallon tank with? (Basically 5 since I left room at the top for him.) Thanks again for the help!

It's the betta.. ITS POOPIN TOO MUCH!!

It may be the lights. I would stop dosing ferts for a while.

It has a distinctive smell, but its more of an organic smell, not really unpleasant IMO. I did nothing except follow the dosage instructions. It was gone within 3 days. I would go with 5 gals to be on the safe side, but my fish weren't affected in the slightest as far as I could see.

Ok. Thanks! I've noticed the, what I call, green smell. Not unpleasant. Lol. I may add an airstone but that would probably be it. Can't wait for payday Thursday! Lol. Thanks again!

I may add an airstone but that would probably be it.
IMO airstones are a waste of money, If you are going to run an airstone and make bubbles and noise you may as well run a small sponge filter. This way you always have a backup if your filter fails.
Something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Biochemical-Small-Sized-Sponge-Filter-Filtrator-Percolator-XY-168-343-/331104235743?hash=item4d1759b0df:g:4VsAAOxyVLNSz9v0

Or

Just lift your spray bar out of the water a bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb2B8cdX3So

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Nick. I may just lift the spray bar out a bit then if it'll work still facing backwards. I'll have to see. :)

Yes it will be fine, What I did was drill extra holes in the spray bar that reduces the speed the water leaves the spray bar but not the volume,

Just got my ultra life blue green slime remover in!! It says 2 scoops for 15 gallons. For 5 gallons I just did 3/4s of one scoop. Hopefully that's the right amount! Not 5 minutes after I put it in, things are happening!! I did do a 50% water change before adding it as it was time anyway. Lol. Here is a before and after picture at the moment!

Before adding
IMG_20160608_082843.jpg

5 mins after adding
IMG_20160608_083427.jpg

My betta, Aidan, seems to be doing fine as well as his 3 horned nerite tank mates! I'm also seeing little bubbles too so now you just gotta wait and see!

One question...it's not real clear at all on how often to add this? If it's not all gone in a week or so do I add another dose? Thanks for the help!

Any idea if that stuff is safe for Crystal Red Shrimp?

I don't know if it's safe for shrimp. My snails weren't bothered by it at all.

The stuff works!! Here are updated pics! I did one dose and it looked like it mostly stopped growing. Waited a week, did a water change and cleaned it off or stuff as much as possible. Hasn't come back! So glad you led me to this product Munroco!!

IMG_20160622_114447.jpg

IMG_20160622_114453.jpg

IMG_20160622_114458.jpg

Ps- don't mind the bad looking leaves in the background. Water sprite came in melted and the seller wanted me to give it a week to see if it comes back.

Worked for me too.the shrimp seem ok but it did seem to affect my Amazon sword.

I have ordered some but I've managed to pretty much kill it off anyway by reducing the lighting and dropping the CO2.  Sadly that has meant one of my plants has copped it too.

Most reactions

Back